Ibanez JEM Forum banner

JEM 90 HAM - What about it 2 years after ?

5K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  eddie 42 
#1 ·
First post !!! (after another that’s gone god knows where and a test one showing me (by finally appearing on the screen  :biggrin: ) that I’m not as stupid as I first thought when loosing the original one :) )

So, here is the thing I want to have your opinion on : I just bought (yesterday, here in France) an unsold JEM 90 HAM for $1400 (thanks a lot to all the ones who left that baby for me !!!, I wouldn’t have been able to pay the price it was back in ’98 !!!), and I want to know your opinion 2 years after its first appearance : how do you consider this guitar, now that the “anniversary” fashion is gone ?

If you want to know my opinion, just read the “hands on reports” on this guitar, and you’ll understand !!! I totally agree with the 4 reports : start to play “sisters” with a clean sound on 4th position, add a little reverb, and you just have to look above your shoulder to look for the Steve Vai in your room !!!
I don’t want to talk about it when it’s cranked up, but : ebony, basswood, evolution PUs, Lo Pro, and the impression that your fingers move by themselves, with your brain 3 miles behind them :eek:

So if there are owners here (and I know there are !!!) just give me your impression after 2 years of playing, or collecting (just play ‘em ;) ) or selling  :(  the guitar.
I’m in love with it, and (this would’nt be the same for my girfriend  :biggrin: ), I want to know I’m not the only one.

Last but not least, as this is my first message (after 3 months of laughs and interest by reading all your posts), I’ll get a little bit “multitopic”, but that’s just to tell you (all of you, but mainly Glen), that this site and forum are definitely the best thing for me on the web : not only it’s focused on the main centre of interest for me in life (ouch, my girfriend was here  :angry: ), but it’s filled with really nice people, and it always stays clean and interesting (even in the “off topic” area). So, just a big thank to all the “famous ones” (Glen, Rich, Kevan (You’ll have a lot of opportunities to correct my English : I’m French ;) ), littlegreenman, Bob (can you upload again your “Jibbob”, I only have 30 sec. Of it...), Jem7vwh (but 90HAM is not so bad !!!), moondance, oooo, plantboy (viva Jan Cyrka), jono, and all the others with so complicated names to remember for a poor French brain !!!

I promise, this will be my longest post !!! (but I still have a lot to say, for example on my other beloved babe : UV7PWH !!!)

Waiting for your answers !!!

See less See more
#2 ·
JEM 90 HAM

i like mine more as time goes on

i've stuck in the trem block (that came with my jem10) and detuned it a step... blocked trem lets me go to a dropped C. stuck some 10s on so it wouldn't feel like rubber bands..... and the tone is absolutely sweeeeeeeet :) it's my bad horsie in a sequined dress.

#3 ·
JEM 90 HAM

Happy to hear that you like your guitar more and more !!! As far as I'm concerned, I now own 5 (1 JEM, 1 Universe + 3 others (+ 1 bass)), and I still like each of them as if it was the first day (which is true for the JEM). So I think I'll like her more and more too.

Nice way of using the trem block, I think. At the moment, my guitar is so brand new that I just keep its setup as it is, with the small adjustments you have to do on a guitar that was stored during 2 years unplayed... But maybe one day, I'll try different setups like that.

I imagine that the low end you can reach must be impressive with the Evolution pickups. It should also be interesting for alternative tunings and weird things that a good listener of Steve may have in mind.... But at the moment, I keep the low sounds for my universe, it sounds great as well !!!

I would be interested to hear how your JEM sounds like, if you have something to e-mail or upload, don't hesitate !!!

#4 ·
JEM 90 HAM

Hi. thakns for the kind words and CONGRATS on the JEM90. I paid a premium for mine and juggled gear since so I am no longer an owner. If it was my first or only JEM i'd have kept it for life. Very nice instrument with a unique appearance. Enjoy... glen

#5 ·
JEM 90 HAM

Thanks for your answer, Glen, and again, I'm sincere when I say this site rules !!!

I made two mistakes in my first post :
- I didn't count up to 3 : we are in 2001, so that's 3 years since JEM90 was on the market ;)
- I'd like to have the opinion of the Jemsiters in general, not only the owners !!!

My impression is that the JEM90 has had a kind of disgrace compared to all the other "collectable" jems. Is it linked to its (too) high price in '98 ? To the fact that it's not so "Vai-linked" ? Am I wrong ?

I can tell you though that it's a wonderful guitar, and as it's my first Jem after 15 years of playing (you know that : when you have time to play, you have no money, and when you have money, you don't have enough time...), I really like this one, and will keep it whatever the opinions are, but I'd like to know...

Thanks for your answers !!!

#6 ·
JEM 90 HAM

the JEM90s streeted at just under $2k. They made TOO MANY, and when dealers' stockpiles mounted they were sold off at $1300 or less 6-8 months later. Very annoying and disgraceful the way it was handled. The Vai connection is irrelevant... the entire band used the 90 on the UZ tour.

Still a great axe... glen

#7 ·
JEM 90 HAM

That "Too much" gave me the opportunity to own one :biggrin:
But if I read well the specs., It was produced at 759 or so, that means less than the UV77MC, and less than UV7PWH (mine is # 9100478, and I love her ;) )
Do you explain that ? (it's not to start a controversy, but just to understand, cause anyway, it's not the "collectability" of a guitar that interest me, but its history).

Well, time to go to bed now in Europe !!! see you !

#9 ·
JEM 90 HAM

I love the look of the 90, I just can't get on with the feel of the finish:( and that really upsets me as I think the colour is one of the nicest on any guitar. It's like "ice blue metallic" or...The Ibanez JEM in Hoth battle gear :biggrin: If that paint job had been non-textured I would definately own 1 (same goes for the DBK - I just can't deal with the paint's texture:( )

All in all, a STUNNING guitar - just not one I can play :(

#10 ·
JEM 90 HAM

Thanks Glen, very clear (but sad) explanation. Anyway, it's a great guitar !

Jono, I agree with you, this not the one to play if you wear a wool pullover ;)
On the other hand, I like very much the textured finish, I can spend a long time watching the different areas and the games it plays with light, which is quite boring on a "normal" guitar (except on a chromeboy, where you can see yourself :biggrin: )

In fact, what I like the best (after its tone) is the contrast between the "sober" part of it ("naked" ebony, black pickups and knobs, chrome hardware), and the extravagant coloured and textured finish (even on the sides, where it looks like hammered steel...). I think this duality reflects well the two sides of our (at least mine) prefered guitarist !!! Stunning, as you said !

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.