Ibanez JEM Forum banner
5K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  m t soule 
#1 ·
What are the differences btw RG550 and RG570?

#4 ·
the fretborad on a 550 is maple the 570 is rosewood.

the headstock doesnt match on either as far as i know, both are just standard black(which, i suppose, does match if the guitar is black :wink: ). But the headstock matches the body colour on both ex versions.

#5 ·
you're both are wrong , the only difference is that in the 550 all the electronic routing is under the pickgaurd , but in the 570 it's behind as any RG series guitar...

BTW , same for the 350 , 450 , 550 , 750 series... The *50 means pickgaurd routing.

and for the headstock colors and maple/rosewood conifg' , it's all differnt models...

#7 ·
Ibanez Junkie is right. most guitars by Ibanez with a 50 Suffix is a Pickguard route, nothing complicated.

There are alot of speicla editions of the 550 and 570's. But they pretty much always have different designations. Like CT or LTD.

The numbers has nothing to do with fret board, material, colors. Those all change with years. Look in a catalogue, it's all there up in the big Swirly Sign!

#10 ·
Traditionally the RG550 has had a maple board and the RG570 has had a rosewood board.

There have been various special editions of the RG550 such as the RG550 LTD and the RG550EX that have had a rosewood board. Even the Regular production linme RG550 came with a rosewood board in 1995.

I've also come to understand it that the original late 80's RG could be ordered with either maple or rosewood from dealers.

Like most folks have said though the real difference is the pickguard found on the RG550.

#11 ·
Juno is quite right. I have RG2550EX. That's newer version of RG550, front routed, but with rosewood fingerboard.

So 550 think front routed. Some with rosewood fbk, all others with maple fb.

I'm happy camper with my RG2550EXGK. Love the new thin neck with volute.
(volute is thicker woodlump on top of neck, so top nut can be screwed in from top and this makes neck stronger and less change of ripping at lock nut bolts).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.