Ibanez JEM Forum banner

What do I practice?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Kemono 
#1 ·
All right i've been playing for 2 years and i want to have a set practice schedule in order to maximize my time any ideas? I have 3 practice times as i'm in collage; lunch 1.5 hours, supper 45 minutes, at night 1.5 hours. Please keep in mind that while it has to maximize my time it also has to be interesting. Thanks.

#2 ·
Good question.

Split it up. Focus on areas with the degree of specificity that suits you.

Use the metronome.

My routine -- guys, please critique this and make any comments.

AM:
Strumming/RH Rhythm
Chromatics
Left hand legato exercise
Improvisation ( I solo over my own recordings)

Afternoon:
Tapping
Scales
Arpeggios

Evening:
Reading
Riffs
Effects/goofing off
Sweep picking

I'm always looking to improve. If you have any comments on the above, lets hear them.

It's a good idea to stick to a routine until you get to a certain goal, then switch it up.

For improv, you'll get your own sound if you record your own riffs and then record your own solos. Gilmour does multiple take/composite solos, and his solos always sound great.

Recording makes you try really hard to play it right, too.

You can also schedule in a little leeway for playing with your wammy bar, wah wah, sliding, or whatever.

#3 ·
Dont have much time atm so ill give some quick advice. What ever you play, make sure you rest inbetween.

Dont play for hours and hours without a break. I was doing stuff in the region of 8-9 hours a day and a lot of the time didnt stop for say, 4,5 hours. And now im suffering as for 8 monhs ive had real bad RSI so i havnt been able to play.

So just make sure befroe everything you warm up, massage ya hands breifly and then take regular breaks.

You muscles also addapt more to what you doing when they have time to rest

#4 ·
Good point on the rest. Rest is an important part of practice.

Warm up slowly and take breaks. Warming your hands with a nice handwashing/massage can help. Sounds wimpy but it helps.

Listen to your body. I've avoided injuries by doing this.When you do this, you'll find new ways to open doors, pick stuff up, and other routine activities that when performed a certain way, are harmful to the health of your hands.

Boxing/aikido are also hard on the hands and wrists. Powerlifing can be OK if you use wrist straps. In some cases, you may have to sacrifice activities.

Massage and hot water treatments are great, too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.