Ibanez JEM Forum banner
12K views 72 replies 11 participants last post by  RCB 
#1 ·
I am going to buy a Jem in the coming month, but I want to solve the questions before I get it. Thanks!

Questions for the Jem 77V wh:

1.Are the frets on the guitar same as the Js1000 BTB? I love the smaller frets!

2.All Steve's guitars have the Buzz Feiten System installed?

3.Actually, what is the Buzz Feiten System? How to install?

4.What is the locking studs? Only the pre 04 model have the locking studs? Why?

5.I found a Jem7V wh with the Buzz Feiten system installed and it cost $2200, 04 brand new.
Do you think it is overpriced?

6.Usually, how much they sell for a normal brand new one?

7.The Jem7V wh comes with a gig bag or hardcase?

See less See more
#2 ·
That 7VWH is completely overpriced. If you buy it you paying about U$$500 more than what it is woth.

Thats the price a JPM90, PGM90, and some other rare and high quility guitars.

You can find a jem90 for about 1800-2000. That should be your chioce if you want a jem. You may even find a jem10 in very good condition for 2500 (not mint, but in very good condition).

Do not buy that 7VWH. If you do, you shouldnt pay more than 1600-1700 (tops) if it is brand new, 1300-1400 if it is in mint condition with HSC

#7 ·
RCB said:
You can find a jem90 for about 1800-2000. That should be your chioce if you want a jem.
I don't know about anyone else, but I find that pretty insulting. RCB, you shouldn't be telling people what their choices should be!

To the original questions:

1) The frets are the same (6105s). There's just two more on the JEM.

2) I don't know about Steve's personal models, but if you want the Buzz Feiten system, you'll have to install it yourself. A company in Japan was selling them installed. Naturally, it was discussed here if you do a search.

3) Search for the Buzz Feiten website. I can't tell you.

4) http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/stud_mod_03.htm

5) I'm not sure if it's overpriced. I don't know what the BF system goes for. They retail for $1800 or so--less (and better) from Rich. You can do the math.

6) Depends on where you buy. Check Ibanez Rules=great price, great set-up and great service. I'd be surprised if Rich wouldn't install the BF system for you if you bought a guitar from him and had the system shipped to him. (I'm not trying to speak for Rich.)

7) Depends, again, where you buy it. MF.com and others will make you pay retail for a case. I don't think you want a gig bag. It's included in Rich's low price.

#8 ·
Excuse me, but his is asking for advice, and advice is what I gave him. Personally I think its a pretty easy chioce. May be you feel insulted becaus you prefer the (or own) 7VWH . Ive played a lot of jems and Universe, and own quite a few. I feel Im pretty qualified to give my opinion. You may have diferent opinion, you may even dont like it. I really couldnt care less. :?

You should learn to read, he IS asking for advice between 2 options. :wink:

#9 ·
I have to correct my sef about something though. I dont know how much the Buss feiten systme goes for, so may be the price for the VWH is not that bad. Im sorry about the price statement. :wink:

Nontheless, the fact remains the same. I would choose the 90th over the VWH (not even to mention the 10th) anyday of the week. :wink:

#10 ·
Glen/Rich, how much do you think a 90th is worth? I saw them in the 1500-2000 range. Do you think 1800 is overpriced for a mint one? 8)

V, something else to consider. The Jem7VWH has a jem neck while the Jem90 has an RG neck (because the guitar is a derivative of the RG Metal, wich was one of the 1997 J custom).

I have to admit I may be biased by the looks, and the uniqueness of the 90th over the 7VWH. They are both very good.

You have a potencial upside in your investment with the 90th. Today they are not too desired (considfering its a limited anniversary run), but that may change. The 7VWH is never going to be collectible because there are a ton of them.

They are both fine instruments, so that shouldnt be an issue.

#12 ·
i don't think the 90 at $1800 is a good "investment" by any stretch of the imagination. it also feels more like an RG then a JEM hence my devaluation of it. The clingy finish detract playability. You can buy Prestige RGs w/ a wizard neck for under $800.

The biggest problem for collectors w/ the 90s is too many were made. An RG-Metal would be a smarter "investment" and much rarer axe.

Of course, that won't stop an impulsive buyer with money burning a hole in their pocket from overpaying. When they go to sell they will take a bath... glen

#13 ·
Evidently you're out of touch with the current market, again. 90's have been bringing strong money finally recouping from the blowouts that caused them to plumet to begin with. It's a signature model, it will always have a much greater following than a JC. And finally, they made more 10th's, sure hasn't stopped them from going through the roof :lol:

#14 ·
Rich said:
The BF isn't a "system", it's a mod where you shave down the end of the fretboard and move the nut closer to the bridge.
Or just modify the nut as each string will have a slightly different scale. (With toplocks it might be quite helpful to shave down the end of the fingerboard.)

You must tune each string after one note (ie. E on all strings, not A->A, D->D...) The whole idea is to even out the "faults" caused by tempered tuning.

#15 ·
Rich said:
Evidently you're out of touch with the current market, again. 90's have been bringing strong money finally recouping from the blowouts that caused them to plumet to begin with. It's a signature model, it will always have a much greater following than a JC. And finally, they made more 10th's, sure hasn't stopped them from going through the roof :lol:
:lol: :roll:

look at a JEM10 and look at a JEM90. if you need to debate which will sell higher, regardless of production call your optometrist ;) ...glen

#16 ·
I think that the fact that it feels more like an RG doesnt detract to the appeal of the guitar. By no means an RGT3120 or even a RG3120 is inferior the a Jem, just slightly different. The jems/UV are always an overpriced line because they a re a signature guitar (im saying that even when I own 5 UV/jems). In fact they are the signature guitar of the most sought after guitar player in the world. :wink:

The Andy Timmons model is a clear case of the same thing. It retails for 1000 more than an almost identical guitar, just because its a signature series and has more appealing inlays. :roll:

There have been more Jem10 made than the jem90, and proportionally there have been even more Jem10th distributed to the USA than Jem90. I dont think its a problem of quantity/availability. I think it was released to soon after the jem10, and it wasnt as beatyfull as it predecessor (and it had the same retail tag, without HSC). 8)

I think uniqueness is something to consider when you are giong to spend 2000 or more in a guitar. Especially considering that you can buy a comparable quility guitar for about 600-1100USD used (RG3120, American master, USRG30, RGT3120, S2540 and many more). I would also prefer the RG METAL because of this particular thing, but the jem90 is still much more rare than any regular jem, particularly the 7VWH, the FP or the DBK.

just my 2cents

#17 ·
jemsite said:
Rich said:
:lol: :roll:

look at a JEM10 and look at a JEM90. if you need to debate which will sell higher, regardless of production call your optometrist ;) ...glen
The point flew over your head like the Concorde on it's last trip. ;)

The 90th has one of the most unique finishes in all guitardom, not just Jems. Whether you like it or not is pretty inconsequential since many many others do ;)

Feels like an RG?1 Your blood sugar is dropping, have a Snickers!

#20 ·
Hey! Need a moderator over here! These kids are at it again!

On topic? Just for a little while? Or perhaps pick up the phone? Start a new thread?

Is there a reason why you don't install Buzz Feiten mods on the guitars you sell, Rich? I know you have to take a course to be certified, but you could do that. Any reason you won't do it?

I've heard pros and cons, cons mostly from people who have never played on a BF modded guitar. I sure would like to try it on a Jem, which is the guitar I play most.

Any chance for a BF mod through you Rich. (Not literally!)

#21 ·
They don't offer a "course" in doing the mod on locking nuts. I wanted to make sure of exactly what I'd need and exactly how "qualified" I need to be before spending my $295 to BF to get authorized, but the bulk of their buisness is in the retrofit of regular nuts. They're supposedly going to work on a video or have the main tech call, but nothing yet.

#23 ·
Rich said:
They don't offer a "course" in doing the mod on locking nuts. I wanted to make sure of exactly what I'd need and exactly how "qualified" I need to be before spending my $295 to BF to get authorized, but the bulk of their buisness is in the retrofit of regular nuts. They're supposedly going to work on a video or have the main tech call, but nothing yet.
have you spoken w/ earvana to see if they have a solution for double lockers yet. last time i checked their website said it was in "testing". fretwave is another solution that makes as much or more sense vs Buzz F... glen

#24 ·
Rich said:
I don't speculate, I buy low sell high [as possible], and they're damn tough to buy low anymore, which is my point, or one of them. Swoosh, there goes that Concorde again ;)
It's illegal to fly those noisy concorde's up here so i haven't seen/heard one in years and years :)

the point you fail to comprehend is that there will always, barring a depression, be one or two people overpaying. That does not make it a smart purchase as being discussed. it just reflects maxium resale-ability given an unlmited waiting period on an unused guitar that must sit in a case to avoid getting worn and losing value. Finally, if you need to unload a HAM quickly, you will more likely than not take a bath. If it has been played alot, corrodes and shows wear the bath is guaranteed if you've paid $2k... glen

#26 ·
You're going to take a bath on anything you have to dump quick, less so on the VWH but I didn't think that was questioned! Personally I'd take the tone of a 90 over a VWH but that's a personal preference, as is the finish. But 90's shouldn't be bought MINT to be used as players unless you've got the dimes to throw away. Common sense that I didn't think needed to be explained [until I start arguing with Glen] ;)

Earvanna will never make the full range of radiuses and widths needed to be effective as a locking nut, let's get real. The Fretwave system is just a little too bizzare for me, just a little too radical, and if it was so great SSV sure didn't continue it's use past the 555 neck ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.