Ibanez JEM Forum banner
2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Rich 
#1 ·
Im baffled by ibanez bridges, the edge pro 2 is on cheaper guitars yet the original edge pro is on the dearer versions, yet the 2nd one says it offers more features than the old such as less string breakage, more comfort, more reilainble stability etc.. So someone tell me which is the better bridge for gods sake!

Also, what do you lot thing of the Jem555? I played one yesterday, and cant get over the speed, its the faastest guitar ive ever played! And its about £800. The only down side- its got steve vai plastered on the last fret, which is really annoying.

Finally, im really tempted by the RG320FM and thats only £325. I figure there must be a sizable amount going to steve vai for the guitars, so the Ibanez jem in reality, is probably only worth £600 if it had nothing to do with Vai!
Would it therefore be a better plan to buy this RG (its rated pretty much 9s and 10s out of 10 everywhere) and stick some new pups in?

Cheers

#2 ·
There are many issues todo with the bridges at the moment, but of the currentmodels the Edge Pro is the top of the line bridge and the Edge Pro 2 is the watered down version found on the cheaper guitars.

The Lo-Pro edge used to be their top of the line bridge but isn't used anymore really.

the Edge bridge is the original top quality Ibanez bridge and many folks still prefer this one to all others.

If YOU like the 555 and YOU think it's worth £800 then spend your hard earned cash on that:) but most folks here would advise hunting out a second hand 7 77 or 777 series Jem or getting an RG500 or 700 series gutiar and perhaps replacing the pickups.

I would personally not advise going after the RG320 but if you want a brand new guitar this might suit you better :)

#3 ·
Thanks for the john, that helped loads. I've not actually played the Rg320fm yet anyway, but i loved the jem555. Another thing ive been worried about concerning ibanezes is the poor quality compnents. In the case of allloads of my mates, the volume pots crackle and the jack sockets are crap. Even the brand new jem 555 in sound control had these problems, and it amazes me!

#5 ·
Hey man, well the time has come when i'm seriously thinking about getting my first Jem also...

I'm in the UK too and prices seriously are ridiculous. I never realised just how much cheaper US prices are. For instance i could buy a brand new Jem7VWH from ibanezrules.com for $2400, this is roughly £1,316.87, bearing in mind the cheapest i've seen a Jem7vWH is £1699~£1700, that's almost £400 cheaper, and buying from Rich you know that you're going to get a top quality guitar that's set up perfectly, i doubt the import and customs costs would be over £400...

Back to the Jem555. It all depends whether you look at the Jem and really think it's the one for you and it appeals to you most, or you value up the pros and cons of an RG vs Jem555 and see that in the long run, upgrades wise it's far, far easier and cheaper to upgrade the pickups in an RG(500+ range) than it is to rip out the old Edge Pro 2 trem in the Jem555, possibly get it re-routed for an EdgePro or better trem then possibly have to get areas of paint touched up and then there's the price of the new trem itself.

If you have the money for a Jem555 though i'd definately think about looking for a second hand Jem7DBK as these pretty much rock :D

#9 ·
Andelusion said:
, and buying from Rich you know that you're going to get a top quality guitar that's set up perfectly, i doubt the import and customs costs would be over £400...
What happens if it comes with a great f**k off dent in it from carriage though? I checked out the site and rich seems sound-apparently the packing is bomb proof. My other worry is the customs fees- can anybody tell me what it would cost on say a jem555 or a jem777?

(im in the uk btw)

Thanks everyone!

#10 ·
Nothing ships without a case, case is included in the price to begin with. If it shows up with a dent then the case is trashed too, and whatever shipper has got a claim on their hands. I always try and recomend UPS for international just because in case of claim you only have to deal with one company, and they know nobody else could be responsible. Global express [DHL] is handled by the USPS first so getting one or the other to finally take blame and pay a claim is a "process". Straight postal is a nightmare to get a claim paid since you have 2 different postal services denying it was their fault.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.