Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Worrying Auctions

Tags
jem custom
2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  screamndemon69 
#1 ·
I've been browsing ebay lately and have come across a few auctions (an Ibanez UV7BK and a Schecter 7-string) that have been taken apart and sold piece by piece in separate auctions (like, neck, body, pickups sold separately). This worries me, because they were obviously one whole guitar at one point, but someone has taken it apart to sell it piece by piece, and they seem to be trying to imply that they never were one full guitar. I dunno, something about it just rubs me the wrong way. Why not sell the whole guitar? It strikes me as being like stealing cars and cutting them up for parts. Like, they don't want to sell the guitar in one piece because it'll be traced back or something, and they're trying to separate the parts from each other.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but something about it I just don't like.

#4 ·
Two hands31 said:
I've been browsing ebay lately and have come across a few auctions (an Ibanez UV7BK and a Schecter 7-string) that have been taken apart and sold piece by piece in separate auctions (like, neck, body, pickups sold separately). This worries me, because they were obviously one whole guitar at one point, but someone has taken it apart to sell it piece by piece, and they seem to be trying to imply that they never were one full guitar. I dunno, something about it just rubs me the wrong way. Why not sell the whole guitar? It strikes me as being like stealing cars and cutting them up for parts. Like, they don't want to sell the guitar in one piece because it'll be traced back or something, and they're trying to separate the parts from each other.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but something about it I just don't like.
I agree, I don't like it either. But then again, think of all the poor guys who need replacement necks or bodies for their broken JEMs or UVs. A guy like me might think, "I could save some money buying this off auction rather than having to deal with Ibanez and that process." So I guess it could be seen both ways.

#6 ·
Rich hit it on pretty much on the head.

I am the person selling the UV7BK and I do not have all of the parts for it. I figured it was better to take what I did have apart and sell them seperatley in hopes I would I do better then selling it as nearly complete guitar. This way it also helps out people who are looking for individual pieces, and do not want to pay for the whole guitar. I just felt that this was a better way to go for me, and that is why I did it.

#7 ·
i've seen a few DBKs sold the same way and i believe the seller got far more $ for it that way ($900-$1000 rather than mybe $750-$800).
i think it is a smart idea as people need parts and some of the parts are a little tricky to get thru other sources (of course not too difficult from Rich :wink: ).
i am really getting into building my own customs from parts and i kinda dig the idea of being able to get some of these ibanez parts (especially necks!) to use on the customs. i have a beautiful Jem custom creation in the works and i'm getting an old pyramid neck for the project. i wouldn't be able to take the guitar apart if i bought one - it wouldn't seem right. if someone else takes it apart - i don't mind using the parts though.
i bought a new RG570 to use for parts and after setting it up and playing it for a little while i had to go and buy a used one for parts as i couldn't bring myself to dissassemble it. i easily fall in love with guitars. :roll:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.