Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  pawel 
#1 ·
Im kinda a jazz guy who likes to play progressive rock as well. I would get a 7 string for the walking bass lines. Can anybody give me info on 8 strings. How do they sound compared to an RG7. Are they worth wile putting money into for a long term guitar. OR should i just "settle" for a 7 string? :) As well what is the overall quality of them..

J

#2 ·
8 strings: the info

8-strings sound just like any other guitar, just like a 7-string does, except with an extra string. It's all dependent on the materials/electronics you choose. It'll give you an extra string though, so if you feel the extra range would benefit you, go for it, but be careful, you could end up like Wes Borland and feel you're not talented enough to use it to its full potential.

#4 ·

you could allways do what charlie hunter does with bass lines and guitar parts at the same time http://www.charliehunter.com

just look up novax guitars for an 8 string guitar/bass hybrid http://novaxguitars.com

edit/
for your purposes however i think a 7 string or 8 string guitar would be good, but my guitar teacher can play walking bass lines and chords on his six string better than i ever could... so its not absolutely necessary to have the extra strings, but it doesn't hurt :biggrin:

as a side note, i just noticed that i hit 161 posts! the same number as my OA lodge! (BSA) /edit

(Edited by bchaney at 11:35 pm on Mar. 31, 2002)

#6 ·

There a only a couple of companies that make production 8-strings (including mine). Most of them use a multitude of custom pick-up configurations. Conklin usually uses a Bartolini soapbar that has a very smooth response and solid tone. Novax P/U's are very smooth as well. I've seen Bartolini' in Novax as well as some customs. Acacia uses seymour duncuns and Bartolini's.
Many other of the custom luthier builders can aquire special made pick-ups that can be wound to a certain preference. I use custom EMG 40DC's with a BTC control on my 8-strings. It has a VERY meaty response, but with the BTC control it can be dialed up to a number of tonalities. I also run my 8-strings on 18 volts, so the headroom is more prominent leaving the clarity a little more distinguished.
Bartolini's seem to be the pick-up of choice for extended range instruments. As compared to dimarzio, they're not screamers, but ask any guitarist that has used Bartolini's and they'll probably say that the bartolini's far out weigh the quality of the Dimarzio's. I love the EMG's in my 9 and 8 string guitars, but I'm also a biased observer. I do use Bartolini's, but due to the immense waiting time for them, I'll only use them at SPECIAL request. I'll get some specs on the different pick-ups used and that may help you gauge the sound that they're able to produce.

#10 ·

mojo on 9:49 pm on April 2, 2002
What pickups i was wondering??? IM kinda new to 8 strings. What would be the best for shredding with loads of distortion. Whithought sounding muddy.

J
Beats me! :biggrin: I think you're basically stuck with whatever they put in there stock. :biggrin: 8-strings aren't all that popular yet, so you end up with limited options.

#11 ·

For my live shows I use a 6 string tuned down to B -- for jazz! I tried the 7 and it works, but due to the large neck and increased width because of having more strings, I found it difficul to do walking stuff while playing lots on top. The stretch made using those high strings impractical. The 6 string tuned down works perfectly for me. Throw some really heavy strings on it (13 or 16 Dobro strings) and you're rocking. Oops, I mean jazzing. That would then be breezin'...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.