Ibanez JEM Forum banner
19K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  red5 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,
Yup, I know... but here's ANOTHER pickup question on the tonezone. :)

I'm using an S520EX guitar... Hum-Hum config with 5 way switch... I'm looking for a tone thats versatile, which means it can handle blues, rock and a bit of metal... plus it got to have decent cleans, so it can handle some nice jazz. :)

I'm getting my X2N replaced with a Tonezone... so yeah, that kind of settles my Bridge... I loved the power of the X2N but I wanted something thicker and with more harmonics. The X2N could do some nice bright Swing jazz rhythm and even do funk on clean!

So now, i've got a Breed neck and I'm thinking of getting a 2nd tonezone in there, ala Paul Gilbert. I'm very happy with the Breed's clean tone as well as the distorted tone... but sometimes, I wish it was just a tad more focused... the eq is balanced very well just that I would like it to be tighter.

I've asked some ppl but its a mixed response.. some say the tone is very tight and focused, but it wouldn't give a typical neckish, fat tone... other say it totally rocks their world.

Anyone?

Cheerio!
Daniel

See less See more
#3 ·
The tone zone makes a pretty good neck pickup actually. I love the TZ's in my UCEW and J-Customs. If I recall, Michael Romeo(Symphony X) and Akira Takasaki both have Tone Zone's as thier neck pickups.

If there's too much bottom end from the TZ you can try to ditch the tone pot if you don't use it and/or also try a 1meg volume pot. (or just replace the tone with a low cut filter)

#9 ·
Shredcows said:
Lyconxero, I've emailed Dimarzio about the Air Zone, they said it will most prob mud out as a neck pup since it was designed to be so warm... :(
Well it will "mud out" to a lesser degree than the regular Tone Zone, since that's part of the effect of the "air" technology. The lows won't be as compressed. But if you were considering the TZ already, I'd agree the Air Zone is a better choice.

#11 ·
Shredcows said:
Can you guys describe the tone?
I can.

I used to have a Tone Zone in the neck of my Fender strat with Floyd-Rose, jumbo frets, scalloped neck and H-S-H configuration.

It wasn´t muddy at all but that guitar used to sound pretty fat, like a Gibson LP Standard. Great for chops and fast stuff IMO. The Tone Zone was louder than the bridge pickup - a Duncan Distortion trembucker.

So if you´re after a very fat tone don´t be afraid and go for it, but don´t forget that a TZ in the neck position will sound pretty fat and loud.

#13 ·
guys i have had a tonezone in the neck of one of my axes and oh lord its the best pickup ever in the neck! its high output, very clear, it has a bit of bottom end, but i call it balls, it sounds awesome, anyone who is familiar with my videos / recordings can vouch that the tonezone in the neck is an awesome choice :)

ill post a vid and soundclip if you like :)

Jim

#15 ·
I used to play a 2027 with a Tone Zone in the bridge AND neck - don't ask, I bought it that way.

The TZ was actally much better in the neck than the bridge (where it was worthless in mahogany, IMO - all mids, no cut and no real bass response to speak of, just more lower mids). In the neck, it was ok - warm, reasonably defined, but not very "alive" - there was just no sparkle to it, and it struck me as a little overcompressed.

Especially in a SZ (mahogany/maple top, right?) I'd say you'd be better served by something else - perhaps an Air Norton? this is ESPECIALLY true if you're using a TZ in the bridge already - the TZ in the neck pickup slot will have significantly more output than the bridge TZ, all else being equal.

-Drew

#17 ·
Drew said:
I used to play a 2027 with a Tone Zone in the bridge AND neck - don't ask, I bought it that way.

The TZ was actally much better in the neck than the bridge (where it was worthless in mahogany, IMO - all mids, no cut and no real bass response to speak of, just more lower mids). In the neck, it was ok - warm, reasonably defined, but not very "alive" - there was just no sparkle to it, and it struck me as a little overcompressed.
Yeah I don't like Tone Zone's in mahogany or maple much anyway. They have a lot of lows and mids and beef up a basswood or alder body a bit!

In mahogany and especially maple I go for the most evenly balanced pickups. In mahogany you can get away with a pickup with slightly scooped mids and sound okay - in maple the same pickup is going to scream but have no clean tone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.