Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Classifieds thread expectations

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  jemsite 
#1 ·
Folks,

In the past, it was understood that the classifieds section was to be free of conversation. When we started having additional admins just for the classifieds, that strict "no talking at all" was relaxed a bit, so that it was easier to buy and sell and make a smooth transaction for all involved. I think most people thought it was a good thing.

Lately, however, it seems that anyone with any vaguely, semi-related thought or idea has felt compelled to comment, or post some pics of similar items, or any of a number of other thoughts on anything for sale or wanted. For example, here are some comments that don't need to be made:

"that's cool, didn't they also come in green?"
"if I had the money I'd be all over that!"
"why are you getting rid of it?"
"I had one of those years ago, it ruled"
"I can't afford your guitar and have no trades, but I have some parts off an old Tascam reel to reel if you're interested"

and the hands down winner,
"Dude, not to be impolite or anything, but those are cheaper than you're asking everywhere you look". There is no reason for posts like this.

So, where does this leave us today? It leaves the admins stuck between deleting posts, locking threads, and possibly even suspending people for abusing the rules. Nobody wants to do any of these things, believe me, but some change is necessary at the moment. Let me just state what should be expected as polite behavior that might not be in the rules verbatim:

Don't hijack someone else's thread - going forward I'll delete these where I see them. If you want something being offered to someone else, PM.

If you're not buying or selling the item, no posting! - It doesn't get any simpler than that.

PM a seller once in a while! - Maybe for some reason YOU HAVE TO KNOW why a guy is selling a matched set of amp tubes. That's fine, really. Just keep it out of the thread, ok?

And finally, If someone is messing with your thread, tell an admin. Don't post an "I don't appreciate that comment in my thread, etc" post, or you'll end up with your post deleted as well and possibly the whole thread locked or deleted if it turns into a shouting match.

We all need to keep in mind that there are over 10 thousand registered users on Jemsite now. Jemsite provides the classifieds section completely free of charge to all members, and the rules for that privilege are few and simple. The admins would like to go back to just locking threads after goods have been bought and sold, OK?

Comments?

jim

See less See more
#4 ·
I think asking someone why they are selling an item is a legit question.
If it is irrepairable or the party involved just wants to move it, it is still a relevant query.
I'll agree about everything else though. I think EVERYONE here is tempted to say "WTF?!" when someone has pricing that is absurd, however.

Bamm

#6 ·
Generally, when something is too high it simply doesn't sell. Then again, who would have thought though that pink lined cases would fetch over 150 bucks? I'd like to avoid questions that lead to lots of other questions, not leave anyone completely in the dark. I'd much rather see "Is that completely stock, or has it been modified in any way" than "why is that thing so cheap?". The one has a simple answer, the other might be long tale of woe with a soundtrack and cast of characters. We've got quite a cast of characters already ;)

#8 ·
bammbamm said:
I think asking someone why they are selling an item is a legit question.
If it is irrepairable or the party involved just wants to move it, it is still a relevant query.
I'll agree about everything else though. I think EVERYONE here is tempted to say "WTF?!" when someone has pricing that is absurd, however.
My thoughts exactly.

#12 ·
Indeed, It's not easy to keep it running in an order without annoying some whilst pleasing other, My rules of thumb is, If its a question valid and likely to be asked by a few members i let it slide, if it was a one off, PM is a lot easier.

Keep up the great work bro, and if you want any advice i'll try and help out ;)

Rob

p.s. the high pricing thing is just reflective of the silly money gained for items off that auction site, Optimism is great, but selling at that higher than warrented price very rarely wins through :)

#13 ·
Guys, right now i don't see the need to ask anything other than verification type things if you are considering it's purchase as Jim stated above. I have been unable to read every classified for the past couple of weeks but I will try to remedy that quickly.

If it's priced high they hurt themselves instantly and it is ignored. let sleeping dogs lie.

If it's priced low a simple "is this 100% factory stock and if not what was modded/repaired?" would suffice.

If it seems like a possible scam do the "report post" thingy.

If it IS a definate scam then "report" post and list a few facts until it's sorted out (then it gets closed with the person banned) ...glen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.