Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Pv 5150

Tags
tube head
1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  vmx23 
#1 ·
I'm bidding on one right now and want your opinions on it and possibly sound clips..

Also, how much better does it sound with an eq and/or OD pedal?

#5 ·
5150 is a good head for metal, that's really about it. I had one a few yrs ago.....the "block-letter" series that supposedly had the better sound over the EVH Signature series which came later. I bought it because I found it a steal of price, but after playing it a few times it went up for sale. It just wasn't the sound I was looking for.
Forget about any good clean sounds, you won't find them with this head. It's got plenty of power, and distortion that'll rip holes in the walls.
I've read that they eat up tubes....so be prepared for that too.

#6 ·
surfdog777 said:
I've read that they eat up tubes....so be prepared for that too.
You probably read that EVH's 5150's eat up tubes cause he runs them so hot. Properly biased a 5150 will make tubes last just as good as any other tube head. But he is right about the clean sound for the most part, if you dial back the volume on your guitar it will help you get a better clean, but 5150's are known for good distortion not good cleans. nice amp though, hope you like it.

#7 ·
that crap about eating tubes is wrong . The tubes in the 5150s are fixed bias at about 15 mv where a normal 6l6gc should pull about 38 mv . The tubes tend to last a little longer due to lower current .

having said that i am not sure what happened to my 5150 . The pre-amp tubes are not getting power . I was told this was because a fuse went out on the curcuit board , i have yet to get it checked out.

and aside from my problem i have never really heard any 5150s dieing other then having a tube go out and i think that may also be a part of my problem.

#8 ·
The thing about the block letter ones sounding better than the signature ones is total bull****. It is exactly the samething. If it sounds different, it was because they came with different tubes.

jra2217 said:
that crap about eating tubes is wrong . The tubes in the 5150s are fixed bias at about 15 mv where a normal 6l6gc should pull about 38 mv . The tubes tend to last a little longer due to lower current .

having said that i am not sure what happened to my 5150 . The pre-amp tubes are not getting power . I was told this was because a fuse went out on the curcuit board , i have yet to get it checked out.

and aside from my problem i have never really heard any 5150s dieing other then having a tube go out and i think that may also be a part of my problem.
Dude, you should replace all the fuses and see if it works. 99% of the time when you blow a fuse, it is because of shorted power tubes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.