Ibanez JEM Forum banner

JS1000BP Edge Pro Discoloration

5K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  AdarkA 
#1 ·
Hey all... quick question and not sure if anyone else had expereinced, but I just got an '05 JS1000 BP and the Edge Pro trem on it is discoloring from my right hand resting on it. So the top part seems to have worn to a silverish color, while the rest of it still has the dark color as the rest of the hardware has.

Is this a potential problem, or is there a way to get that 'worn' color back to the more 'black' color that it originally was?

Anyone else dealing with this? Any thoughts/advice?

Whataya think?

#3 ·
My jem also had the same problem. The gold was discoloured in a matter of weeks after purchase.

Theres nothing really to be done. It's caused in large part by sweat and just general wear from your hand resting on it.

With my jem, i used a metal polish to take off ALL the gold and leave me with all chrome, but there is still discolouration where the chrome plating has worn away. It's just not so evident now.

#5 ·
Yep, it's just a symptom of the crappy plating they put on these things. Seems like the chrome and all black finishes (especially on the Edge and Lo Pro trems) are more durable than the cosmo and gold ones.

As time goes on you'll have this to look forward to... When all the plating wears off down to the matte black die-cast HotWheels metal. ;)

#12 ·
ChopTart said:
Haha pretty much - As far as I know there isn't much that can be done, although someone on this forum did mention if it was gold, you might be able to get some company to re-plate it. I personally wouldn't though - it looks kind of cool worn :D
Replating is expensive as hell isn't it? EKG had a lo pro edge 7 gold plated I think at some point for UV version of the JEMV7WH?

Regards

André

#15 ·
My 1990 s540ltd, that I have owned since new, has done the same thing (cosmo hardware). I don't worry about it. Like others have said...it adds character. I put it in the same category as the neck joint finish cracks.

What I don't like is when ppl let that hardware get rusty. Combine that with the wear and things just start to look nasty.

It's like an guitar odometer for me. It gives me an idea of how many miles are on the guitar. When you completely wear through the finish...that is like 200,000 miles. When you start wearing down the metal you are approaching 300,000 miles. Hope this makes you feel better about the wear.

:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.