Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Writing Contest #2 - "JEM GIVEAWAY" discussion

5K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  jemsite 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, we're preparing for another Writing Contest so I wanted to start a new thread here for the NEXT contest.

This one will have to be more automated so it will be *most likely* handled by the forum "paid subscription" feature
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/payments.php

It is NOT YET enabled so don't post about "wrong currency" and other errors if you try to make a payment

Upon entering payment, you will be granted accesss to this exclusive forum to competition participants. Specific times, dates and details can be discussed there.
http://www.jemsite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Couple things to note...
* We can consider a pricier JEM77BRMR but possible shipping allowences will be lowered ($30 allowance - free CONUS) or eliminated.

* Even if we stick to 125 participants and a VWH, the next competion will have a slightly increased fee to handle in-house costs (income tax, surcharges).

* Kenny will help organize but cannot accept payments. Others have graciously volunteered to help and they'll be called upon if needed ASAP :)

* If competition #2 goes well we can consider another but that is a long ways away.

* I'd like to consider allowing ONE entry per person for 3-4 weeks (and specify that) THEN open it up to multiple entries per person (only after the time specified) if needed. I noticed people getting impatient after less than one week! The original "rules" had a timeframe of 2 months!

Congrats again to the Grand prize winner "airguitar" and TWO runners up "Kirk" and "Rickcard71" of contest #1 ... glen

See less See more
#3 ·
I have a suggestion:

Is it possible that some reputable forum member could receive payment for these contests or memberships via credit card?

I won't use PayPal even at gunpoint, so I'd be willing to pay the obvious extra costs associated to card use in order to participate. Of course, there should be a "test" period so the cards are verified (i.e. I pay via credit card but get no benefits for a month or so, so the payment collector is sure I'm not a scammer).

Maybe even a jemsite.com store? I understand (and a thank him for it!!!) Glen does this as a very time consuming hobby...but I sure would buy t-shirts, picks, coffee mugs and all sort of things if I had the simplicity of a secure webstore.

#5 ·
caprile said:
I have a suggestion:

Is it possible that some reputable forum member could receive payment for these contests or memberships via credit card?

I won't use PayPal even at gunpoint, so I'd be willing to pay the obvious extra costs associated to card use in order to participate. Of course, there should be a "test" period so the cards are verified (i.e. I pay via credit card but get no benefits for a month or so, so the payment collector is sure I'm not a scammer).

Maybe even a jemsite.com store? I understand (and a thank him for it!!!) Glen does this as a very time consuming hobby...but I sure would buy t-shirts, picks, coffee mugs and all sort of things if I had the simplicity of a secure webstore.
thanks... good feedback. i am looking into this. one problem is the requirement of a "merchant bank account" for credit cards (and often monthly fees) but I will look into this.

places like 2checkout.com (which integrates w/ vBulletin) have a one-time set up fee of $49 and 5.5% rate plus $0.45 of each total order which is makes $20 into $18.45 USD.

short term - on special occasions perhaps the "vendor" supplying the item can accept CC payment directly. all feedback welcome... glen

#8 ·
I completely disagree with lowering the shipping allowance - there were many contest entrants from overseas and this would leave them with a HUGE burden - we don't want to be Oprah, do we?

"airguitar" Andy who won the last contest is probably going to have to pay about $100, even after the allowance. ANd he's only in Wales, UK. Imagine if he was in Austraila...

I think the people who would be willing to enter won't mind paying a $25 fee to enter the contest and it would bring in enough money to cover that $100 allowance plus your taxes and even a consolation prize or two, even if it's just cash+entry into the next contest. Kirk seemed to be pretty psyched. ;) ...especially if the prize is a BRMR.

re: paypal...
Sorry to the 2 or 3 people who don't like paypal for their own personal reasons, but it works and it's simple. Throwing other payment methods into the mix is only complicating the lives of those running the contest. We easily got 125 entries for the last contest without having to accomodate any other payment method. A couple of people who wanted to enter, but didn't want to use paypal, were able to come to an agreement with another jemsiter to get them in and then repay the money some other way. i did that with rotti and hobophobic did it too (i think). If you have a will, there's a way.

i think that's it for now.

~Kenny

#10 ·
Glen isn't considerring that after deducting the cost of the prizes and all expenses the "profit" or "tax burden" is negligeable.

Andy chose UPS at + $170, in addition he's looking at 24% of $2000 plus UPS brokerage, usually about $60. It's still a very reasonable price to pay for a JEM, but it's definately no freebie at over $700 ;)

#13 ·
If the site is using it as an entrance fee, then the prize given to the contest winner is fully deductable from the proceeds. Talk to your accountant but it's not a difficult concept ;)

[unless I'm missing something obvious, it would be the first time!]

#16 ·
that would be deductible after i register jemsite as a small business, get a business license, pay nj business taxes and other nonsense. Oneday i will get around to making jemsite into a LLC but until that day i'm reporting this as "MISC INCOME" as i have no valid "deduction" (kenny did as he is a "musician" by trade) from what i have been advised... glen

ps - if there are any certified tax accountants reading and they want to expedite this process (for raffle #3 or #4) please PM

#17 ·
It would be deductible even if reported as Misc. income. Only *profit* matters. When you have receipts to prove the profit was offset with expenses it makes no difference if it's a registered business or not. Even in personal income taxes, profit - expense = net profit. Again, talk to your accountant ;)

#24 ·
Rich said:
It would be deductible even if reported as Misc. income. Only *profit* matters. When you have receipts to prove the profit was offset with expenses it makes no difference if it's a registered business or not. Even in personal income taxes, profit - expense = net profit. Again, talk to your accountant ;)
lets take this to email.

suffice to say if i COLLECT $2500 in cash/paypal that is INCOME unless it is a deductible expense. You can't take that, buy a guitar and "give it away" and nullify that INCOME. That is a separate "DONATION" and is not dollar for dollar by any stretch. ROTF. Talk about a HUGE GAPING loophole (noone would pay taxes on anything except $$$ paid toward utilities/mortgage). LOL... glen

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.