Ibanez JEM Forum banner
4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Nemesistheory 
#1 ·
Hello! I'm trying to find out specifically what current humbuckers on the market are either exactly like or most similar to the F3 and F2 humbuckers Ibanez used in the early 90's. I plan to have a custom guitar built using new pups and want to get as close to the way those hums sounded as possible. Would greatly appreciate definite answers on this. Thanks!

Scott

#4 ·
I found this chart posted somewhere a while back. I believe it's copied from an old DiMarzio FAQ about OEM pickups:

Model Made for Retail / Equivalent
======================================================================
C2 Ibanez / Similar to HS-2 (DP116)
C3 Ibanez / No equivalent. Closest model is Blue Velvet Bridge (DP171)
F1 Ibanez / No equivalent. Closest model is The Breed Bridge (DP166)
F2 Ibanez / No equivalent. Closest model is The Tone Zone (DP155)
F3 Ibanez / No equivalent. Closest model is Super 3 (DP152)
F4 Ibanez / No equivalent. Closest model is PAF (DP103)
H1 Fender / Same as Super 3 (DP152)
H2 Fender / Same as Super 3 (DP152)
H3 Fender / No equivalent. Closest model is Evolution Neck (DP158 )
H4 Fender / No equivalent. Closest model is The Breed Neck (DP165)
H5 Fender / No equivalent. Closest model is The Breed Neck (DP165)
H6 Fender / No equivalent. Closest model is PAF (DP103)
H7 Fender / No equivalent. Closest model is F1 model for Ibanez
H8 Fender / Similar to PAF Pro (DP151)

#7 ·
F2's are super easy to find mint/used. The F3 is a little more difficult. If you are putting an "F2" style pickup in the neck, don't choose the Tone Zone. If anything, choose the Air Zone. But I would say the TZ in the neck will differ greatly from the F2 sound. They're more similar to eachother when used in the bridge position.

The F3 is actually very similar to the Super 3 from what I've heard. So definitely get the Super 3 for the bridge if you can't find/don't want the F3. My personal recommendation is to get the Breed neck for the neck position. It's not because it's the closest model physically to the F2, but sonically (in the neck position) it should reproduce what you like about the F2, far better than a "Zone".

#8 ·
frankfalbo said:
F2's are super easy to find mint/used. The F3 is a little more difficult. If you are putting an "F2" style pickup in the neck, don't choose the Tone Zone. If anything, choose the Air Zone. But I would say the TZ in the neck will differ greatly from the F2 sound. They're more similar to eachother when used in the bridge position.

The F3 is actually very similar to the Super 3 from what I've heard. So definitely get the Super 3 for the bridge if you can't find/don't want the F3. My personal recommendation is to get the Breed neck for the neck position. It's not because it's the closest model physically to the F2, but sonically (in the neck position) it should reproduce what you like about the F2, far better than a "Zone".
Besides, the Super3 and Breed neck sound perfect together. Man, I feel like a Dimarzio fanboy.... lol :p

#9 ·
Thanks. I am getting a guitar with Breeds in it within a few weeks so I'll see how they sound. I wish I had the option to send the original Ibz F2/F3 pups to the custom shop, but most shops won't accept parts from customers. I can always put the Ibz hums in later, though I'd like to be able to have everything brand new. I guess I should mention that what I'm ordering is going to be a Jackson Custom Shop Demon, a neck-through USA made replica of my original 540PHH. I'm trying to get all the specs close, but enhance a few things too. If anyone isn't familiar with the Demon, it's almost the exact shape as a P, only it has bevels on the body and horns.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.