Ibanez JEM Forum banner
13K views 46 replies 8 participants last post by  ScottB 
#1 ·
I ordered my S2170FWNTF Prestige today. I currently have a 1990 s540ltd (made in japan). I was wondering if anyone has had any expieriance with the S2170FWNT. I hope it compares to my s540ltd. I am looking forward to playing with the new ZR trem. The prestige neck is something else I look forward to.

I have seen some prestiges (not an S) with the NTF finish that were not that impressive ...read dirt in finish. Kinda curious about that.

My 540 has IBZUSAF1 , C2, and F2 pups. The new guitar has some kind of IBZ's (Dimarzio's of course). I wonder how these compare to my old ones.

I have owned the 540 since new. 16 years and it is still a fabulous guitar.
Hope I can say that about the new machine.

It is gonna to be tough to say NO to the new guitar. But if it doesn't measure up to the 540 I'm not accepting it.

Well I geuss that's it for now. I will take some pics when it arrives. It is supposed to be here 4/15/06. :)

#4 ·
Welcome to the forum. When it comes to a guitar with a finish like that, it's hard to say whether you'll be pleased with the particular one that you ordered if it's coming from some online retailer. You should be fairly happy with the build and feel of the guitar, though. Gotta love that ZR trem.

#5 · (Edited)

I ordered it from my local Guitar Center. I get to check it out before I purchase it. As far as the top is concerned. You are right. You never know until you see that particular guitar. Playibilty/Quality is more of a concern. But if it looks nice....I would not mind.

#6 ·
Well, assuming the guitar isn't defective in some way (and since it's a Prestige model then I would figure the QC is a bit better than the regular S series) then it should be a very nice guitar. I don't know how much those are going for nowadays but hopefully you will get your money's worth. I actually wish there was one of those Prestige S models around here because the Wizard II prestige neck interests me. The Wizard II necks are very comfortable and the Wizard necks are a bit on a thin side for me so it would be cool to have a Wizard II neck with those two cool strips running down it.

#7 ·
Hey everyone, i am also very new to this forum.. and i just recieved my s2170fw 2 days ago. I am extremely pleased with the guitar. It feels and plays like a dream!! It is my first experience with ibanez so i really can't compare it to anything but i really couldn't be any happier with it. Have a look.

#9 ·
S-man said:
I ordered my S2170FWNTF Prestige today. I currently have a 1990 s540ltd (made in japan). I was wondering if anyone has had any expieriance with the S2170FWNT. I hope it compares to my s540ltd. I am looking forward to playing with the new ZR trem. The prestige neck is something else I look forward to.

I have seen some prestiges (not an S) with the NTF finish that were not that impressive ...read dirt in finish. Kinda curious about that.

My 540 has IBZUSAF1 , C2, and F2 pups. The new guitar has some kind of IBZ's (Dimarzio's of course). I wonder how these compare to my old ones.

I have owned the 540 since new. 16 years and it is still a fabulous guitar.
Hope I can say that about the new machine.

It is gonna to be tough to say NO to the new guitar. But if it doesn't measure up to the 540 I'm not accepting it.

Well I geuss that's it for now. I will take some pics when it arrives. It is supposed to be here 4/15/06. :)
Might wanna read a bit about the ZR trem on Ibanez Rules (banner above).

Regards

André

#11 ·
fettouhi said:
Might wanna read a bit about the ZR trem on Ibanez Rules (banner above).

Regards

André
Hmm...Only thing I have heard of is a loose trem arm.
Which was a nut loose below the trem. Heck my edge did that...easy fix.
I have heard ppl say that it is too stiff. I have played one on a s520ex (a friend has). Thought it was a little stiff but no biggie, overall it felt good.

Beyond that, until I have one that I can tinker with for a while, I will never know. I like the ease of adjustment factor. Oh well....we shall see.

Maybe there is something I am unaware of. I have been through rich's site quite a bit and don't recall seeing anything negative.

Oh....A couple ppl said the zr was heavy...dunno?????

#12 ·
Ya know I was looking at those pics thinking....Hmm that case looks like just a regular ol hardcase. In fact it looks almost identical to my SR400 case. Which is just a standard hardshell case...but for a bass (of course).

Now the case for 1990 S540ltd is differant. It has a little plaque on that says Proffessional Series. And it has differant latches (better).

As a matter of fact, when a friend of mine got his S520ex I noticed the cheaper latches and said "hey these latches are cheaper like my bass case"

Just an observation.

#14 · (Edited)
This guitar sounds amazing! I wasn't sure what i would think of the pickups but they really do sound great. I may swap them out down the road.. we'll see. this is my first guitar with a single coil and it really adds to the versitility. The playability is fantastic.. no issues what so ever. The neck is very smooth and very fast. As far as dirt goes, the guitar came as clean as can be.. no dirt to be found. Right now its pretty much factory setup.. I did swap out the 9's for some 11's. I play in D so there wasn't a need for any extra springs. I am definatly going to be gettin it setup prefessionally. I really couldn't be any happier with the guitar and im glad i chose to go the ibanez route. S-man, i really can't compare it to a s540ltd but i think you will be extremely pleased with the guitar. I can't wait to see how yours will look!

#15 ·
Bocephus said:
This guitar sounds amazing! I wasn't sure what i would think of the pickups but they really do sound great. I may swap them out down the road.. we'll see. this is my first guitar with a single coil and it really adds to the versitility. The playability is fantastic.. no issues what so ever. The neck is very smooth and very fast. As far as dirt goes, the guitar came as clean as can be.. no dirt to be found. Right now its pretty much factory setup.. I did swap out the 9's for some 11's. I play in D so there wasn't a need for any extra springs. I am definatly going to be gettin it setup prefessionally. I really couldn't be any happier with the guitar and im glad i chose to go the ibanez route. S-man, i really can't compare it to a s540ltd but i think you will be extremely pleased with the guitar. I can't wait to see how yours will look!
Could you please post a picture of the back of the neck on the guitar? I'm really interested in what the Wizard II Prestige neck looks like from behind.

#17 ·
Man, that neck is soooo beautiful (and it even has the little heel that you see on the Prestige RGs). If it still has the same basic dimensions as the Wizard II neck but with those cool stripes AND the little heel then it's probably my dream neck. But I wonder why Ibanez puts such thick stripes on this neck and such thin stripes on the Prestige RGs.

#19 · (Edited)
lyconxero said:
Man, that neck is soooo beautiful (and it even has the little heel that you see on the Prestige RGs). If it still has the same basic dimensions as the Wizard II neck but with those cool stripes AND the little heel then it's probably my dream neck. But I wonder why Ibanez puts such thick stripes on this neck and such thin stripes on the Prestige RGs.
Wizard II 5pc.Prestige dimensions

Scale 648mm/25.5"
a : Width at Nut 43mm
b : Width at Last Fret 56mm
c : Thickness at 1st 19mm
d : Thickness at 12th 21mm
Radius 400mmR

Wizard II 3pc.dimensions

Scale 648mm/25.5"
a : Width at Nut 43mm
b : Width at Last Fret 56mm
c : Thickness at 1st 19mm
d : Thickness at 12th 21mm
Radius 400mmR

Dimensions are identical (from Ibanez website).

I guess dreams can come true. :)

#23 ·
90341689 said:
mick thomson from slipknot has one...custom shop, obviously

i think they should have made that into a signature series instead of the red rg, it would have been even more unique and would have increased their sales.
I can definitely agree with that. It almost makes me hope that Slipknot has some sort of staying power as a band so that he'll get more than signature model like Vai and the next would could hopefully be the 24 fret S series guitar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.