Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Sound engineering - apprentice?

6K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  30yroldpig 
#1 ·
Didn't really know where to post this, mods move it if necessary.

Basically, last year I spoke to Dragonforce's sound engineer when I saw them live and she said that the best way to get into that job is doing experience, even unpayed. Does anyone know anywhere I can get this sort of job/work experience? Even if the pay was sh*t it'd be worth it. I'm currently based in Edinburgh if that makes a difference.

Cheers
Joe

#2 ·
You have 2 ways in. Find live production companies near you and beg them for a internship. Get ready to do all the crap work. Long hours for no pay. If, and I mean if you earn a little of there respect they might, if they're in a good mood, show you a few things about the gear and mixing.

You can also attend a sound engineering school such as SAE. www.sae.edu
They are really expensive though and there is no garantee you'll get to work as an engineer. You still have to earn someones trust in order to get them to show you the gear in a live situation. Im speaking from experience. PM me and we can talk more if you want.

#3 ·
Without minimal knowledge in audio, how can you even start as an unpaid runner on a touring production?

Start by attending an established audio program and volunteer your time as of then. People will take someone who goes to an audio school with no experience more seriously than some chap with no experience at all.

It'll be worth it. It's what I did. Today I'm quite the busy man. Too busy.

Good luck

Cheers
Pat

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.