Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Question on modellers and multi-FX pedalboards...

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Mr.WizardNeck 
#1 ·
Hi everyone -

I have a question regarding amp modellers and multi-effects pedals. I presently have a line 6 podxT and a vox ad15. Now when i play the vox ad15, I like the "feel" - there is almost a tube-like feel to it. When i play my podxT thru headphones or computer speakers, while it sounds good, it does not have the "feel". Is this due to speaker size or b/c the vox has a tube in it, or something that is inherent to the podxT?
I ask this because my ideal setup would be to play thru computer speakers as to not wake my the neighbors. (The vox ad15 is still quite loud for late night practicing and it doesn't sound good thru the headphone jack).

Any suggestions for other modellers? Vox tonelab? Korg AX1500G? Korg PX4D? Others?

Thanks in advance

Jeff

#2 ·
This may sound crazy but go out and get one of those tubed mic preamps if you dont already have one. Mine has XLR in and out and also 1/4" in and out. It's a behringer and I press the -20db button and put the tube gain at about 12 o clock and the volume barely on. Make sure its after your POD XT Live. I've owned one and I didnt care for it much. I stuck with my Behringer X V-Amp and it sounds great with this thing after it. Give it a try. Let it act as power section OD sim thing.

#3 ·
There are many things to try. The tube pre is one. I haven't had a Line6, because I preferred others over the Pod 2.0 and never got around to trying the XT. But I don't think a real tube is the only way to get a tube "vibe". I got a ToneLab to replace my older V-Amp2 and Yamaha DG Stomp, and I like it. I thought it might be the tube. But I also just got the Digitech GNX3000, and IMO it's every bit as "tubey" as the Vox - but with many more features and options. The Vox does have its own sound, especially on the clean & blues sounds, but I can't say they're "better" or "more realistic" than the GNX - just different. So, IMO try a GNX3000 if you can.

...just another thought...

#4 ·
I don't know how much the tube in the Vox's really contributes to "feel", but I do think that the Vox's have significantly better "feel" than the Behringer V-Amp/Digitech GNX/Line 6 POD/Boss GT units that I've tried. Perhaps it's because Vox has historically been a manufacturer of tube amps (instead of digital amps), and are therefore more in touch with how real tube amps typically respond. (FWIW, I have an H&K zenTera which has no tubes whatsoever yet is the most convincing non-tube amp I've ever played from a tone & feel standpoint)

Every time I've tried to use various devices (tube buffers, tube pres, etc) to warm up various digital devices, I've generally found that they just create more mud than a real tubey feel.

--B

#5 ·
Yup.....I've owned nearly every modeler multiple times. In terms of reproducing the feel of a real amp, the Vox wins. It has a real 3 dimensional feel to it that the other modelers lack. However, for high gain it falls a bit short. Better at doing Vox/Fender sounds....blues, classic rock, etc.

Ultimately, I settled on a V-Amp Pro. I think it really does a good job for both recording and live. The XT series would be really good if it didn't have that shrill fizz too it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.