Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Dimarzio Pickup Recommendations Needed! (Evo2,Tone Zone,Breed,Air Zone,Mo'Joe??)

4K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  fredo 
#1 ·
So I have a RGT320QRBB and I want to replace the stock pups. What I'm looking for is something that is full of harmonic overtones, ala Fred, very dynamic, something that can both sing and scream/burn. Something very clear.....

Basically, an AMAZING lead pickup thats versatile (smoking hot screaming to warm and singing) and dynamic........... The ONLY catch is....... that it has to be able to handle high-gain rhythm riffing and not sound like complete ass.

So what will get me closest to where I'm trying to get? Keep in mind that its going into a Mahogany (maple top) neck-through with a trem.

Please someone help me out here.

#3 ·
i personally didn't like the norton . i like the fred and the tone zone but the pickup to me is the wrong combination of them .

i'd suggest the mo'joe or fred . I personally love the drop sonic with the bar to the neck position . it does backing stuff well because of the bass and mids but on leads the pickups power mids and high shine through very well .

it depends on how chunky you want your backing stuff to be . the mo'joe isn't going to be as thick but if you have a thick amp like a mesa or vht or somthing like that then it will be fine . if you have more of a marshall style amp i's suggest the drop sonic , british sounding amps tend to cut through the mix more because of thier mid responce and voicing , meaning you dont have to have a brighter higher powered pickup you can go with a deeper chunkier pickup . the mesa style is usually more bass heavy , meaning a brighter pickup can help even things out a bit .

#7 ·
the best pups that ive come across for the kinda versatility that youre looking for is the BREED's
I have them in one guitar with a dimarzio "mega switch" and a coil tap on the tone pot.
this config (H-H) - I dont have a single coil ! gives the most versatile setup and variety of sounds that ive had in any ibanez guitar (or any other guitar) before...
breeds rock - they are like a mix of two awesome pups - the tone zone and the evo !

#9 ·
today i received 2 pickup : norton bridge and breed neck.

Je norton is really awsome, it has a great sound and is perfect for the lead with a textured soud.

The breed neck... well it s not a bad pickup but maybe it has too muche output for the clean, for the lead it s not bad... maybe i could prefer a air norton

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.