Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Refinishing Guitar - Paint Question

5K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  phantoms 
#1 ·
Hi, I'm in the process of refinishing my RG7420. This is my second time doing this but my first time attempting to use a solid color as the finish.
I'm just curious what type of spray paint/brand I should be using. I plan on painting the body and headstock white and obviously using some type of clear coat.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm just about ready to begin the painting process.

Thanks!
-Pete

#2 ·
if your using rattle cans.. I prefer Laquer based.. And then a lot of laquer clear coat.

But laquer really never cures, it dries but it doesnt cure fully, so you will have to let it sit for a while before you buff it out.. The longer the better.

You can use Acrylic Enamel as well but I prefer laquer.

my 2 cents.

#4 ·
if your using rattle cans.. I prefer Laquer based.. And then a lot of laquer clear coat.

But laquer really never cures, it dries but it doesnt cure fully, so you will have to let it sit for a while before you buff it out.. The longer the better.

You can use Acrylic Enamel as well but I prefer laquer.

my 2 cents.
Great! I will be using rattle cans unfornately. I'll probably go with the laquer then. How long would you suggest I wait before buffing? A week....more?

Thanks! I really appreciate the help.

#13 ·
I bought the PYOG book. Some useful info. Not a lot that I didn't know from doing bodywork and scale modeling over the years. However, if you're new to it, it's quite useful. A lot of the same info gets repeated as it covers painting several different guitars and goes over the complete process for each guitar.

Here's a couple I am working on. Same process described in the ebook for the most part.

The maple with mahogony stripe guitar is now in the curing process awaiting buffing/polishing. The other is having the black basecoats applied. I've actually started a third, an RG570 that I am converting to a JEM style with an ash top. It looks great. I'll be selling the two above but the JEM conversion will be mine.

#15 ·
Yeah. Be aware, there will be some initial investment if you don't have some of the supplies, like sealer, sandpaper, paint, putty knife, etc.

My only comment, he hight recommends sanding or paint stripper. I've had less than great success with paint strippers on the poly finishes used on most new guitars. Sanding can cause waves, etc. in the body. Personally, I recommend using a heat gun to stip the old finish. Just do it outdoors because the fumes can get pretty bad.

I'd also read through the book a couple of times before you do it. Heck, may even be a good idea to find/buy a scrap guitar to practice on.

#17 ·
Hmm, very curious to see how this book turns out as wel ;)

I've repainted a JEM (fluor yellow that was painted black all the way, even the back of the neck). My 2 main problems were :

the laquer really needs a lot of time to dry and harden. Normally, guitars after being painted in the factory they go in an oven to make the paint harden if I'm correct. even with clear coat not hardened... very vulnerable.

you really need a 100% (not 90%) dust free environment, otherwise you get all kinds glitches in your finish. etc etc...

if I found a total ruined paintjob-guitar I would be happy to re-try it becasue it's a lot of fun, your own paint, so curious to hear about the book. but otherwise I would really consider handing it over to a pro.

#26 ·
Yep, thats true, I have a carvin from '87 with the original paint job on it, lacquer, I guess the guy who had it before me had it hung on a wall b/c when I got it there were no marks on the bottom of it, or anywhere else, I sat it on a guitar stand beside my bed about 4 months ago, and it has sat there every since......picked it up last week and it had two BAD indentations and dull spots on the bottom of it where the rubber arms on the guitar stand ate into the finish........makes me so mad. I HATE LACQUER, its so junky, theres absolutely NOTHING good about it in my opinion or anything that makes it better than a Urethane anyways. I don't know how I'm gonna fix this spot.....maybe I can buff it out, who knows......its pretty bad.

#29 ·
good topic!
i'm trying to refinish an RG with rattle cans and the color is coming out foggy (i read that is a moisture issue) but i took a clean cloth and found that LOTS of elbow grease starts bringing back the shine (metallic blue).
should i buff lighty with an attachment on a multi-speed drill or will the clear-coat fix this fogging? (i would guess it wouldn't if it is a moisture issue)
i'm sure i'm using the wrong paint (rustoleum) but they didn't have any decent colors in the other brands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.