Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Gibson V or Dean Razorback

5K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  JoeJoe 
#1 ·
I'm trying to decide between getting a Gibson V 1967 re issue (white) or a Dean Razorback. Both are about the same price, anyone played both or either that has an opinion? I used to have a Razorback and it was a great guitar, have never played a V but heard great things about the. I do like the idea of the Ebony board on the V plus the non trem...leaning toward the V but wanted to see if any of you have good/bad points on either. Thanks!

#9 ·
i have a razor and can say i'd buy 20 before ever even thinking of touching a gibson . i think gibson quality has gone to the crapper . they are havin problems with thier neck joints and IMO just dont play that great . i was takin a lesson and they had one at the music store so i did a side by side because i was also interested in the V.

no comparison imo . my razor had a better finish , the frets were larger as well as crowned and polished better . the razor's floyd is great. the only thing i have done is change pickups and wire it up for a single volume and tone along with a kill switch .

sure my razor has a couple of chips but nothing a black sharpie wont fix ;)

the razor has a beautiful V shaped neck wich plays like a dream , it is one of those things though , you either love it or hate it.

you can get a blemished razor or used for around 750-800 , as great as they are i wouldn't buy one new just for the fact you can get them cheaper used or blemished, but yeah i certainly look to buy another razor or maybe a CFH/DFH

#12 ·
The best description I was able to find was "medium tall", hope that helps.
If I remember right my Vs had short and narrow fretwire but I never had a 67 RI.
I have a friend who bought one probably 15 years ago and that has been his only guitar since so I think it's safe to say he loves them.

#14 ·
It also comes down to your playing style and the type of music you'll be playing
Do you preffer 24 frets VS 22 on the flying V? do you preffer hard tail bridges to
floating trems? ask yourself those question. I like Gibsons and I have a couple flying Vs with hardtails and I play them very rarely because my style demands screaming harmonics, dive bombs, bar flutter effects etc...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.