Ibanez JEM Forum banner

It doesn't really feel like Sunday... (Long days)

1K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Roland 
#1 ·
So, I've got ten minutes left before I get off phonewatch duty and open the reception of the hotel I work at... and watch the phone simultaneously, for another four hours. I've been at work basically for the last 24 hours and it just dawned on me how much I've done during these latest three days. I took two consecutive evening-shifts followed by the full-day I'm currently on, but this day has felt so long. Not really boring, just really, really long.
I woke up at 7 a.m to get myself tidied up and fix the breakfast buffet, sat in the reception for three hours, basically getting paid to sit and watch the guests eat. That was followed by the day-shift of the hotel (Where you get swamped by a lesser hill of paperwork) and some phonewatch. Sitting in the reception does get tiring since you don't do anything (Paradoxical, isn't it? People who excercise will know what I'm talking about) so I went for a jog on my two-hour break.
Back on the phonewatch for two and a half hours where I haven't really had that much to do, and now I'm here with minutes to spare before opening the reception and psyching myself for four hours of waiting. Eight arrivals in four hours...

Anyone else who's had really long days? My 24 hour streak doesn't really count since that was all chips, coke and playstation. Followed by a surreal morning walk. I fell asleep because there wasn't that much left to do.

See less See more
#3 ·
It's not that much, but it beats sitting around doing nothing, waiting for the next half-year to arrive so that I can apply for the next round of courses and schools.
Somewhat gratifying it is, I must say. Especially considering it's my first real job. I do have a fear of facing a situation I've not been trained to handle (Not any rabid customers or anything, rather some guy who wants two receipts with different names on the same charge or something like that.) but everything's sailing smooth so far. 3 hours and 39 minutes left... AS I WATCH THAT THING SPIN!!!

#5 ·
Yeah well, this summer was roadkill for me. Literally. Four weeks on the road across Europe - to arrive at a faceful of deceit from (now former) friends and cousins. And an aggravating cousin as excess baggage as well.
Thinking back on the summer, combined with the relative boredom of sitting in the reception makes me want to let out a scream as in the guitar-solo-section of SYL's "Skeksis" and play Cannibal Corpses "frantic disembowelment" while donning a gasmask and jumping off the wooden desk.

Ooooh, it spins.

#7 ·
Don't know it, I don't really listen to cannibal corpse. "Frantic disembowelment" is kickass though, good riffing.
Four booked arrivals left with three hours left. Let's hope I didn't let in some crackheads or garbage like that. At this point, I'm basically getting paid to chat and listen to metal on the computer. As long as it's not loud enough for the customers to hear.... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.