Ibanez JEM Forum banner

OFR vs. Ibanez Trems (Edge, Lo-pro, Edge Pro)

9K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Ironjose 
#1 ·
Okay, I know that there have been a lot of threads about this but here I go again. I stopped by guitar center today and was messing around with an OFR on a Jackson, and it seemed to me like it was just as springy if not more springy and not as stiff as the edge pro on my jem7vwh. It also seemed like it fluttered better too, and it came back to perfect tune after dives and pull-ups(at least as far as I could tell), where the Edge pro on my jem returns quite sharp from pull-ups. But I'm sure that could be solved by sharpening the knife edges and matching the shape of the knives to the grooves of the studs. So my question is, is the OFR better than an Edge Pro in the areas that I was concentrating on, or was I just dreaming?

#3 ·
OFR is probably my favorite trem. I have it on quite a few of my guitars and I will say that yes...

1. It is a very responsive trem

2. It will flutter all day long

3. It is very solid, and holds tune great

4. It feels very smooth (but this is subjective, due to the fact that this is the trem I'm most accustomed to).

Even though I own a guitar with just about every trem out there, it is really hard to compare.

The OFR and Schaller are pretty much identical. I'm sure they both have their good points and bad points, but I'm underqualified to answer that.

The Edge, compared to an OFR, feels a little less "meaty", that's the best way I can describe it.

Not a huge fan of the Lo Pro.

The Edge Pro is a pretty good all around trem, for the most part.

#4 ·
i havent own that many tremolos but recently i bought a ofr pro and the flutter is way better than the edge pro i have on the other guitar... dont know why or how but its probably the weight of the tremolo, the edge pro weights a ton and the ofr pro bit more... jajaja but both of them dont go out of tune, they do sometimes but its coz of the weather but nothing exagerated...
i like both, i want to try the original edge
JJ

#6 ·
Comparing an Original Edge to an OFR, the Floyd flutters better, the Edge is smoother. The OFR has a brighter tone, the Edge more warm.

Tuning stability was the same for me.

I find the Edge more comfortable, the saddles feel better. Now that Ibanez has switched though, I'd be more likely to get an OFR over an Edge Pro, and would buy an OFR or Gotoh as a replacement trem over the overpriced aftermarket new Edges.

#11 ·
I don't think the Floyd is as good as the Edge Pro.

I go mental on my RG1550 & it holds tune almost perfectly.

Also, the premier trem-abuser Jeff Hanneman says in response to why doesn't he have Floyd trems instead of Kahler-

"Floyds suck".

And i know the Kahler's are great for tuning stability.

I'd probably put it like:

* Kahler 2315
* Gotoh GE1996T
* Ibanez Edge Pro
* Original Floyd Rose/Schaller Floyd Rose

Based on a hell of alot of player's views as well as my own.

ALL of them are great trems IMO so the order is very very close. I also personally don't think "Floyds Suck", unless of course you're in Slayer which cuts it down to 2 people.

I think if you get a guitar with either of these trems on, don't bother changing it cos the quality difference is minimal if any.

Of couse, a certain company will say "Our trem is better...." etc but all of them ae great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.