Ibanez JEM Forum banner
5K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Tom Gilroy 
#1 ·
i have been thinking of one of these. i think the 50watt will be more than enough. i have not owned a head in years...just preamp racks into my BBE processor and 50/50 mesa amp. killer sound but i really dig paul gilbert's tone and he used nothing but the laney GH100L on the last 2 albums. any experience with them? i love his tone and molten metal like old metallica / ONE, that cool Oz Fox tone, stuff like that.

steve

#2 ·
I have a GH50L and I really love it. The PG sound is definately there, and doesn't take much tweaking to get. Most of the time, I used my amp straight in, nothing else, but if I need effects, I have a single rack FX that gives me what I need.

And it's LOUD. Very, very loud. Which is good, but to get the best out of it, I have to have the master up on around 5-6 - which even when going through a 1x12, is enough to scare a drummer.

Another cool feature - has an input to bypass the internal preamp, so you can stick a rack preamp into it and amplify via the valve poweramp.

My only gripe is the fact that it is single channel - you can footswitch the overdrive on or off, but if you use hot pickups (I use a Paf Pro and TZ) you'll be in the crunch range on the 'clean' setting when you have the gain up. Means you havta fiddle with the volume on your guitar, but that doesn't really bother me.

Bottom line, if you like PGs sound, you'll like this amp, if you can deal with the single-channel-ness. If not, try a VH100.

#3 ·
I'd go GH50L.

They are both exactly the same, only one's louder. So obviously thats up to you to asess how loud you need your amp to go. The GH50 is stupid loud though, and would be plenty for any situation.

And for the tone your after, it would suit perfectly. Its more than capable of doing what your after. And with a few pedals in front of it, obviously even more would be accessable.

#7 ·
not saying it is 100% true in every case but majority of the time there is actaully very little difference in 50 watts tube and 100 watts tube (same model only different power output ) . the difference is in the amount of clean headroom you get out of 100 watts versus 50 . on 50 watt amps the power tubes will distort quicker which is why there is such a nitch for expensive low wattage tube amps . 100 watts will hold together longer but only produce about 6db more volume then 50 watts .

either way my point is 50 watts tube is damn loud .

#10 ·
great guys! thanks! i will have to find where to buy one. where did you get yours at? i have not owned a head in years...just rack units. i don't have a place to play it yet but i'm working on that. working on building my home studio for clientel as well...it will come in handy their for my band once things come together. i may have to order it before trying it, as i don't have a place that sells them local.

steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.