Ibanez JEM Forum banner

My first Jem - whats the best option

3K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  Timon 
#1 ·
You guys all seem to have a lot of experience with these guitars so I was wondering if you could give me your opinion.  After seeing one in a magazine, I have been saving for a Jem10 (it looks amazing but I don't think I will be able to get together $3000 for a used guitar).  Anyway, I am very serious about getting my first Jem to play not collect.  

Please tell me your opinion of the best players Jem, also are there any advanages/disadvantages to an older model compared with the new?  For example, some people have said the AANJ limits the sustain.  I really prefer the vine inlay.

P.S.  I have about $1000 saved.

(Edited by Little Pete at 8:29 pm on Aug. 22, 2001)

#2 ·
My first Jem

I think the Jem7DBK is awesome, and it has a great price to go along with it. Mine was 1,300.00 but you might be able to get one even cheaper. Only thing you have to ask is if you like that unique finish? Plus no vine inlays.

As for other features depending on how big your hands are the older style Jem neck joint can be a real bitch especially if like playing alot on the high frets. Plus the neck is a little thicker. Thats the only problem I have with old Jems, and with how much money you have saved I think you could find a really great old style Jem used.

Check out the Rich Harris website link above and go to the used(or new page as well) page. It's a really great website, and trust me you won't be dissapointed! He may not have the model you want but you won't regret buying from him. Good luck.

#3 ·
My first Jem

$3000? For a Jem10? Oh wait a minute, you must be looking at Kevan's... Hey, don't you mean $3800? OK, I can sell you mine for $2400! And you won't even have to worry about dinging or scratching it! Dings and scratches provided! :) :)

But seriously, Rich can help you out... big time. Also, there are lots of good deals on Jemsite. Someone's always deperately selling a guitar for a great price.

And for $1000, I recommend saving about $200 more and getting a used VWH. Can't go wrong there man. If you just want an Ibanez (not a Jem), get an American Master. By far superior to any guitar I've played. You can probably score one for your price range.

Gabe

#4 ·
My first Jem

"Ouch...ouch...definitely hurt...ow..definitley hurt..."
There's a reason my JEM10 is $3800. :)
(Glen- save your jokes for amateur night at Rascals)

I'd reccommend an FP. They come with the old-school heel joints, but do have a nice vine inlay and can be found (with case and shipping) for about $1K.

Gabe's suggestion of saving up another couple of hundred for a pre-owned VWH is a great idea.

The "For Sale" section here on Jemsite and Rich Harris' "Ibanez Rules" are the two best spots on the 'net to get what you're looking for at a great price.

www.ibanezrules.com

#6 ·
My first Jem

Just save yourself the trouble and go ahead and by a Universe...you're going to want one later on anyway. Price-wise you can pick up a good used UV777BK for under a grand, or a GR, or a PWH...sorry, I'm starting to sweat over here and I'm gettin' kindof choked up.

#7 ·
My first Jem

I ended up getting a new 7DBK.....it's a fantastic guitar (I tried out a bunch of different models before making my decision) it's supposed to arrive today..I can't wait!!

I would say get a 7D, except you say you want Vines...with a little more $$ you can get a used 7V, a little more than that and Rich can you a new one for $1600 or so

best of luck to you, let us know what you decide to do

#8 ·
My first Jem

I'd play a couple if you can, untill you find one you go home dreaming about and are excited about when you think about it (sort of like an adolescent crush) then find out how it generally goes for second hand, save, and then look for one! Or find out how much rich sells em for...

#9 ·
My first Jem

Although I have a Jem10, I am looking for my first Jem to play. The Jem10 is just to nice for me to risk dings and scraches. I know you think this sounds crazy, but if I am afraid to ding it there is no way I can go all out playing it. As a result, I am saving up for a used Jem to play on a daily basis. IMO the AANJ is awsome (I have resently played a new VWH at GC) it is very comfortable to play the high register, and I don't notice any loss of tone or sustain. As for looks, I think the Jem10 and DNA are tied for the best, but in the more affordable range the VWH, BFP, and VDY are very cool. I also have a little over $1000 saved for the Jem so we might be getting one around the same time... let me know what you decide and when you get one.

Does any body know if there is a AANJ available on a BFP or VDY or are these only available with the old stump? :^)

#10 ·
My first Jem

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'm going to wait and look for a good deal on a used vwh or vdy (because I don't see many vdy, and want to be different). I have noticed that the vwh is not basewood. Does this make any difference in sound compared to the other jems?

(Edited by Little Pete at 11:19 am on Aug. 28, 2001)

#11 ·
My first Jem

well some people will say that body wood makes a significant difference, I'm of the opinion that it makes only a very very slight difference

most people in a blind test would not be able to tell the difference between a basswood or alder wood guitar

that said, BOTH alder and basswood are excellent tone woods

to me the significant differences in tones happen with pickups, and the Evolutions in a 7VWH are what make the biggest difference in tone......they are excellent pickups (as are the Breeds in a 7DBK)

#16 ·
My first Jem

The DBK is not so much a worse guitar as it is a different one.

* It does not have a fancy inlay
* It has a textured finish
* It has Breed pickups instead of Evolutions
* It features the Wizard profile. This is a much more slim elliptical profile than the older JEM profile which is more like a Flattened D.

#17 ·
My first Jem

sound like you need a 7vwh, but what kinda stuff do you play??

the D, despite its looks, is a very warm sounding instrument and not as hot as the V. otherwise they are both very striking looking instruments, and both are excellent excellent guitars!! :)

#19 ·
My first Jem

I played a vwh this weekend and it was awsome. I will need to stick with an AANJ. This was the first time I played an AANJ, but it felt much better so I think I'm hooked.

So I think I'll narrow it down to a jem with the AANJ and a vine inlay. I would love a 10th, but most likely I'll go with a vwh.

Do you guys think if I wait and look around, I could find one for under a $1000. I'm not cheap its just the ression is a coming and all :)

#20 ·
My first Jem

The JEM7VWH is truely an amazing guitar. You will NEVER regret getting it. And for it to be the first JEM you get you will be hardpressed to probably find one you like more. I think that (not all) but most JEM7VWH owners will say that they LOVE other JEMs but the VWH is the be all end all for them. Out of all 14 JEM guitars I have owned the JEM7VWH is still my overall favorite.

The Alder body gives it more of that "traditional sound" while the EVO's throw the whole thing over the edge and kick it into hyperspace. Heck I have seen them for sale used even at the $1050 to $1100 range!! I would definitely stick it out and wait for the VWH.

Rikk

#21 ·
My first Jem

you gotta get what you like. i have the 7dbk and just totally love it! the tone is killer for metal and the guitar is really really light! it's like there is no weight at all to it...it's uncanny! the breed pickups are really tight and punchy...great for metal! you have to hear one for yourself. the neck is really fast and thin. the vwh neck is thicker and to me, almost tree trunk like....but that's me. i love thin necks and the 7dbk is it! vdy is also thin...but lacks in tone compared to the 7dbk. vdy is warmer tone but you can get that with 7dbk as well. i owned a vdy as well. get what you like. you will not be sorry with a 7dbk at all! i also didn't like the look of the gold and white on the vwh....tacky to me. looks great for vai but not me. i love black and that texture on the dbk...damn! i just love that guitar. so easy to play fast and tap on. if you can find a ham90 that would be awesome...ebony board! but that's a lot of money...$2000 or so. i have one of those also. for your first jem you can get a nice dbk for $800 on ebay. you won't be sorry!

#24 ·
My first Jem

AANJ and Vine inlays comes only with the VWH, the 10 and the DNA so go with the VWH as long as money matters. I haven't seen any as low as $1000, but there are so many of them around that it won't surprise me if you find one.

Timon, I made a quick measure and found that my FP is 45mm thick while my 90 is 43mm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.