Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Guitar Refinishing Projects

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  RG462 
#1 ·

Someone suggested that I start a thread to show the progression of a couple of projects I'm currently working on. So going off of that, here they are.

Below is a Ibanez GIO bass, an older model, that was originally black. It was stripped down and repainted white with holoflake. That was then swirled and is currently in the wet-sanding phase.

With the headstock on this bass I've done something that might be considered "wrong", but I wanted it to be alittle different. I routed the outline of a regular Ibanez guitar shaped headstock into it. It's not to scale, but gives kinda the feel I suppose. Inside that shape is white holoflake with swirl on top. Outside of that shape is black.

The original logo has nearly worn off so I'm going to take it the rest of the way off and add back a custom logo. I think I'll do that in red.

This bass was originally bought for my neighbor's kid. His birthday was coming up and they wanted to get him a bass. I offered to do one for them at cost which they said go ahead. A couple weeks later they decided to buy him an all in one bass guitar kit - amp, instructions, etc. So I got stuck with another project that I didn't want. So I figured I'd do something different with this one.

The swirl isn't the best in the world. It isn't my best, but it's ok. The gold has very small flake in it which weighted down the paint. As a result when I lifted it out of the water it ran ever so slightly. Still looks ok, but it doesn't look like a pro job. But as I said before, I thought I'd do something different and take however it came out.

If anyone is interested in taking it off my hands feel free to give me a PM. I'll be sticking the original tuners, bridge and electronics back in it. The neck is in great, almost new condition. It's been played, but not much. Hardware and electronics are perfect - no problems. If nobody wants her I'll be putting it up on e.B.a.y. once I'm finished.

Also is a 570 that was originally black as well. It was stripped down and refinished in a fluorescent green with holoflake. The body is finished except for adding the hardware and electronics. I'm currently working on the headstock. I'm going to be adding an abalone logo to it and then it will be shot with clear. The neck is a beautiful maple fretboard with black shark inlays. Looks brand new, although it's most likely not. I've got another neck just like it that will be refinished and married to another 570 body that I'll eventually refinish.

I drilled holes in the body for a pickguard, so although it's a 570 at heart it's going to look like a 550. The pickguard is clear and I'm going to add a mirror film to the back of it.

Evos will eventually find a new home in here. Maybe even PAF's. Haven't decided yet. I plan on keeping this one though.

Anyways, that's what I've got so far.

I also have another guitar, an older EX model, that I'm nearly done with. I'll take some pics of it and display on here as well. I forget the model number at the moment. It originally was in a metallic blue flake. I repainted it with a darker blue flake faded into a metallic purple - headstock too.

See less See more
#8 ·

Here's an update on my custom LNGB. I cut out, by hand, an Ibanez logo in abalone. Talk about time consuming and patience. This reminds me of why I never like doing inlays. Anyways, it didn't show up in the picture as well as I would've liked, but it's a very beautiful, colorful abalone inlay. The second pic is with the Banshee and custom logo art added onto a green background, which just happens to also be the color of my guitar I'm working on - see the pics above.

The red Banshee and custom text will be done on clear transparency.

If humidity is low and weather is nice today I'll be spraying clear on the headstock.

#9 ·
Hey courtney, good work on your projects. this is rg_shredder from the ibanez forum. I finished my swirl project and am happy with the results. theres a thread in other ibanez guitars on this site called My Axe with pics. loving the paintjobs and the logos!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.