Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Stupid shill bidding

6K views 66 replies 22 participants last post by  David McCarroll 
#1 ·
Now, this sh* right here is whatcha call "shill bidding", folks!

One of the most ridiculous things I have ever seen. If you buy off of that auction site then you should always watch for shill bidding with vigilance and report it.

#11 ·
But look at the Bidding history and Bidder 4 and how they conveniently pop up just to push the bids up.

If you know the guy personally and can vouch for him, then that's one thing. I don't know him from Adam and I just look at the ridiculous price and the suspicious looking bidding activity.

#9 ·
Te seller is kind of a dick

Q: Hi, I entered a bid for the item and I put $140,000 and I meant to put $14,000. While I doubt $140,000 will still win, is it still possible for you to cancel my big?

A: Good morning, After careful consideration, I have decided to cancel your $140,000 bid. You are invited to re-bid as you see fit,

Careful consideration? The guy made an honest mistake, just cancel the damn bid and dont act like your doing anyone any favors.

Bob Barkers youngest fan is probably 95 years old anyway, like anyone will remember that show in 2 years.

#12 ·
There are and will always be idiots that bid in stupid ways. Someday maybe they'll all figure out all they're doing is making it more expensive and what happens in the last minute is all that matter. Go find a BILLION other auctions with the exact same scenario.

And there is nothing rediculous about the price. That is what a new VWH neck sells for, get used to it. List price is $915.

#14 ·
I'd like to have non-salesman Rich justify that price.
$915 for a neck, so I'd bet cost is around 1/2 that.
That's just stupid to pay that much for a neck when an entire decent guitar can be had for that price.
THere is nothing anyone can say that would convince me that selling a Jem neck for $700 is anything less than rape.

#67 ·
Why? It's easy to spend $500US on a Warmoth neck if you want something a bit out of the ordinary, and that doesn't have a brand name, a vine or a finish on it. As for spending up to $700 on a neck, there are the odd Pre-CBS Fender necks that appear every now and then with BINs of around $4500USD - and if I owned a '63 Strat that had everything original except the neck, I'd see that as a genuine bargain!

As Rich said - if you apportion a value to the parts of a $3000 guitar, probably thesingle most important bit is the neck, so why wouldn't it be worth approximately 1/4 of the total value.... hey, in fact that's cheap - darn, I shoulda bid!!!!!!

#20 ·
Obviously you were sleeping through economics 101 and business 101.

List price means nothing?! :lol: It's only what every sale price and perceived value is related to. And still it means much LESS than fair market value. What people are ready and willing to pay for something, and in this case, something very difficult to get that rarely comes up for sale.

If you must justify something, if the neck, the most important part of the whole guitar, only lists for $915, justify how the rest of the guitar adds up to $2018.

#47 ·
If you must justify something, if the neck, the most important part of the whole guitar, only lists for $915, justify how the rest of the guitar adds up to $2018.
There you go. I can see spending 600 or 700 for a Jem neck; it is definitely the most important part, and totally makes the guitar. If I could get a UV777PBK neck for 500 I'd start saving for it. But alder bodies are cheap, and good basswood is right there as well. The neck I can justify if I'm buying parts, the rest I can't.
These prices simply aren't that out of line for what they are. If they are truly catching some off guard, well....that's another story. Maybe you don't live in the 'Bay and see it all the time. A nice Warmoth neck might be 200 for plain maple on maple, but if it's a USA Fender (same plain maple/maple) you're looking at 450 as well. A decent condition 1527 neck with no tuners or nut will get up close to $300. Good necks cost money, and good rare necks cost silly money.

#21 ·
Who pays list for any guitar product? All list price does is make people think they are getting a deal when the store comes down from it.

PT Barnum said there's a sucker born every minute, people willing to spend that much for a neck clearly prove him right.

I almost lost it when Gibson wanted $1200 for a new neck for my 76 LP Custom, of course they were also going to do all the work required to swap the necks and refinish the new one.

#24 ·
Everything is relative. If you don't have a lot of money then you think people are dumb for paying more than you think is reasonable. If you have plenty of money, they what you consider reasonable for something you want is a whole lot higher. $700 may be 2 weeks pay to some here, and it may be an afternoons pay to others.

Instead of criticizing those that actually have money as stupid morons when they spend it, try making more money so somebody else can call you the stupid moron ;)

#25 ·
Come on Rich, there's no reason to go there, Cid makes decent money. No matter how much I made though, I would still say $700 for any guitar part is too much, especially when you can probably score a Wizard neck for what $400?

Maybe moron was too strong of a word, I got in late from a pretty impoirtant show and was on the drunk side. In my newly sober feelings though, I would still call those people suckers.

As Dennis Miller would say
Of course, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong

#26 ·
There was plenty of reason to go there with the banter that was being put forth. And the bottom line is it's the truth. If you were making $1000 a day your perception would be completely different than it is now, no matter what you say it would be.

When did a Wizard neck become anywhere near as desireable as a Jem neck? [unless the Wizard is a Jem ;)]

#33 ·
"Worth" and "value" don't have to be purely relative concepts. Here's how to reach a more universal perspective.

No matter what we make, let's be people who don't take our wealth for granted. Those of us who make in an afternoon what some folks make in two weeks (to use Rich's frame) should keep the less fortunate in mind whenever we spend money on things like guitar necks.

We would make better decisions in our own consumer behavior, and probably end up sharing our wealth with those less fortunate. At the very least, we'd appreciate what we have.

Peace.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.