Mic up guitars in small venues, yes or no

• Yes

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 6 37.5%

Mic up guitars in small venues ?

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  syxxstring 
#1 ·
I'm interested to know how many of you playing small venues (typical pub etc) mic up your guitars and basses through the PA. I coming from a sound quality perspective rather than volume.

#4 ·
I don't. I only mic for larger venues. This allows me to maximize the tube saturation and get usable feedback a little easier. I either use a 22wtt Fender '65 Reverb Deluxe only turned up to 3 (still VERY LOUD) or a 100wtt Mesa Mark III with a vertical 2x12 (has to be a bigger venue or outdoors) that is only on 3 for volume at the 100wtt setting. I'm the lead player in my band and can easily cut thru the mix without being mic'd and at times my 1x12 combo can sound like a half stack and still move plenty of air (amazing for a 1x12 22wtt combo).

With all that said, I am a stickler for having my rhythm guitarist mic'd in the PA to keep a cap on his volume and have more control of the mix (balance of the mix). He doesn't use a tube amp (Peavey Chorus 2x12) so he only needs to be on 1 or 2 and then ran thru the monitors and mains via a 57. He is still learning so this helps keep him from putting his amp on 10 :rolleyes:

The only problem is keeping him from turning his amp up which puts him over the top in the PA and monitors. I think I'm going to remove or tape his volume knob until he starts to remember that he CAN be adjusted in the mixer and not his amp. He has only been with us a short time but we will get him trained - he's a fantastic player.

I do recommend miccing for almost any shows, I'm just an exception rather than the rule for what I do personally. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.