Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Whats the difference between a classic 1987 Wizard neck and a Wizard Prestige neck?

8K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  psychoshredder 
#1 ·
I was considering buying a 20th Anniversary RG550 with the original 1987 Classic Neck (which is totally killer), but I started looking at technical specs off Ibanez's website and the 1987 specs are excactly the same as the Wizard Prestige neck specs.
Is there any difference between them, and if so, what is it?

#3 ·
Re: Whats the difference between a classic 1987 Wizard neck and a Wizard Prestige neck?

WIZARD Neck Dimensions
Scale Length: 648mm/25.5"
Width At Nut: 43mm
Width At Last Fret: 56mm
Thickness At 1st Fret: 18mm
Thickness At 12th Fret: 20mm
Radius: 430

WIZARD II Neck Dimensions
Scale Length: 648mm/25.5"
Width At Nut: 43mm
Width At Last Fret: 56mm
Thickness At 1st Fret: 19mm
Thickness At 12th Fret: 21mm
Radius: 400

Just a quick copy and paste of the Ibanez site for neck dimensions, the original Wizard is a bit thinner, and it's really up to taste and opinion. Some people prefer the original Wizard, some the Wizard II. Go to a guitar shop and try them out both and decide on your own experience with them.

#6 ·
Re: Whats the difference between a classic 1987 Wizard neck and a Wizard Prestige neck?

i bought an amp a week ago, i played the amp at the music store using my RGR580Dx with original wizard neck. after a while I changed the guitar and took the RG 2610E from the wall and play it thru the amp.
I'm not goint to talk about how it does sound, but i can feel switching from my RGR580 ( ori wizard) to RG 2610E ( new w prestige), the neck on the 2610E is fatter and rounder, even it's only 1 mm thicker than ori W.

#7 ·

original wiz is 17mm 19mm, like the super wizard. from what can i tell the difference is what psycho shredder said, the new wizard is not flat at the back. i personally like that :)
although, what is now wizard prestige used to be refered to as "Classic wizard" (2001 RG3120 for example)

#8 ·

i'm not sure if it's all of them, but it is worth noting that the prestige necks i've seen have a volute added to the neck to strengthen the neck behind the nut, and some of them don't have the nut fastening screws that thread in from behind the nut, and are top mounted(adding strength).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.