Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Bridge slot: Super2 or Humbucker from Hell?

3K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  CityofBlindingLights 
#1 ·
Okay, so I have a Warmoth custom body here, and I need help deciding which pickups to use. First off, I'm using an H-S-H top-routed body, and so far I've decided on a Humbucker from Hell in the neck slot and a Class of '55 in the middle slot. In the bridge slot, though, I'm totally in the air between another Humbucker from Hell or a Super Distortion 2.

First off, what kind of music I play. I play pretty much anything, save for hip-hop/rap and country. I go pretty heavy on distortion, but I'm not an all out metal player; the heaviest I usually go is a little past Petrucci, if that. My strongest genres are blues, alternative (modern- think Interpol, Peter Bjorn & John, etc.), and classic rock. I also have recently been playing a little bit of instrumental like Vai, Satch, Petrucci, and Johnson. But for the most part I'm a pretty diverse player.

Now, the tone I'm looking for. I'm a strat player, all the way. I LOVE the classic bell-like classic strat tone well associated with Fender. I use middle/bridge combo almost exclusively, and neck/middle for some cleans or lyrical parts. I do NOT want Gibson-style tone out of them, which is my problem with the sound clips on DiMarzio's site: almost all the pickups have the darker, gibson-style PAF humbucking tone. I want Fender tone with hotter output and louder sound. Think maybe recent Eric Clapton with loads more output, but can still sing with no distortion or do blues crunch. The only bridge pickup that seems to appeal to me is the Super 2, but I can't judge what it sounds like due to lack of sound clips and I don't know anyone who's used them.

I should also say I'm using swamp ash to add to the snap, though I am contemplating using an alder body instead...

What do you think, Super2 or HFH?

See less See more
#2 ·
If you want tons of cut and the single coil on steroids sound the humbucker from hell is definetly what you need. If you want a little more beef go with the super2. You'll have a pretty drastic volume change however since the HBFH is considered vintage output and the super 2 is high output.

#4 ·
I tried out a Super 2 in an alder Jackson (albiet in the neck position), and it was way too ice-picky. It now resides in my mahogany Dean Z, and it sounds much better there. You might want to try a Super III instead; I have that in the Jackson in the bridge position, and it is powerfull, clear, and tight.

My $.02.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.