Ibanez JEM Forum banner

possible prestige acquiring on meh part

4K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  mike570 
#1 · (Edited)
possible prestige acquiring(update w pix)

anyone who frequents e.b.ay, perhaps you can help me out here..

well, im a bit strapped for cash, and a friend of mine knows a guy who owns a prestige. the exact model number im not sure, but the guy i know, sold it originally to the current owner. he says its for sure a prestige, and he says its a really beautiful blue(i believe he may have mentioned mirage in there) either way, i think its probably the rg1570..his buddy, the owner, is asking 250 for it u.s. and im supposed to go check it out in a few hours actually. i dont know if ill get super quick answers..but in the event that it is the rg1570, anyone know on average what these babies go for on the bay? i was thinking of buying it and selling it to make some money(or just keep it :p) and or is $250 too much?

ill get more info as it develops

also, seein as im strapped for cash, this kinda sux, i really shouldnt buy it, hahaha

#8 ·
so, i went to try the guitar out earlier today, and its not a 1570, its an older model from 1998...i actually dont know the model, i just got home and i havent even checked the site but i dont remember seeing if this particular model is even still in production....anyways, he wanted 250 for it, and i picked it up a few hours ago..its got two dimarzios in it, im not sure which ones but they sound incredible...the guitar overal has a lot of small dings and paint chips in it, nothing to serious except for one thats quite big..there is nothing that effects the playability of it at all. it plays very well, incredibly....im loading pics onto a hosting site right now and will put pics up in a few minutes

#11 ·
i knoticed there was a scratching when i turn the vol and tone knobs, i think its because there was like a bare wire grounded to the trem claw. either way im going to look at it more later and make it great. =D

check out the previous owners method to blocking his trem, i just got 50 cents

there are a lot of small chips and th such, but this is the only one that kinda sucks, i am going to glue it in so it doesnt kinda hang there, i dont mind that it would have the crack as long as its glued in there.

so overall i think i got a good deal, nothing affects its playability. all i have to do is clean it up a bit, replace one of the pads on the nut, and get a new trem arm. plus it came with two dimarzios not sure which ones though but sounds amazing...

#20 ·
sweet, thanks for the wd40 advice....and yes i was looking up on this guitar at ibanezrules.com and from what ive found in the catalogs it is a 3120 and apparently its mahogany =D (my first mahogany rg) and it has a rather thick maple top, though the one in the catalog is more of a flamed maple, mine is more quilty. and yes, the pickups are paf pro/tone zone according to the combo..

would anyone know where i can buy replacement pressure pads for the nut? i just tried taking one off my 350 and the screws are thicker..i was hoping to use one as a temporary replacement so i can use it on stage, ill look into the ibanez parts section..but im not sure how far back it can go...if anyone knows that would be a lot of help, thanks. :)

#21 ·
Grendel had a good point on the other site on the flame/quilt. Have you taken the neck off to see what it says in the pocket? I'm guessing its a 3120, still, though. Mahogany! Bad ass! I've got to save up for that RGT42 in white...
Now you know why I like that Tone Zone / PAF Pro combo, eh? They probably sound epic in that guitar! Who cares if shes a bit dinged from playing! ;)
Not sure if the neck pickup is a PAF Pro though. The pole pieces are silver, not flat black. Maybe the guitar is custom???

#22 ·
hmm, everything in the pictures on the catalog on ibanezrules.com matches up except the flame/quilt. these pickups even have the little dimarzio logo in the corner....and it kinda sux because last night i cleaned it up and such, but i forgot to take off the neck to see...>:/ and i already restrung it and set it up...ugh...well this guitar does sound 'epic' its awesome..:D

#24 · (Edited)
Hey Mike. :)

Nice score on the axe, Chritar. That's a weird one I haven't seen before. The quilt totally throws me off. For replacement pads see Rich at IR.

The top is most likely 4mm thick, like most of them are. Not too deep, but probably deep enough to add a bit of brightness. BTW Mike, it is most likely a PAF Pro in the neck, despite the poles. My 3120 had the same silver poles (TZ and PAF Pro combo). See pic below.

Mahogany back...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.