Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Pickups suggestion for rg550 20th anniversary

2K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  nullsys 
#1 ·
I bought the rg550 20th anniversary (red flare) 6 months ago and it feels good. However, I've decided to swap them for the Dimarzio pickups. The stock pickup in the neck sounds weak to my ears and I need a fatter tone in the bridge pickup.

I'm planning to go Breeds for both the bridge and neck pickup in red. I play mainly Steve Vai's. I was wondering if the Breeds sound good on basswood guitar. For Breed users please share your thoughts.

Btw I need some suggestion on which middle pickup I should choose so they sound calibrated with the breeds. Thanks for taking your time reading.

#5 ·
dimarzio does make a single coil breed, you have to call them to get the model number and then go to ur local dimarzio dealer to order it upfront

iscv2 is a bad all middle for the evo setup, but i beleive they use a different model for the breed setup, the iscv2 is a singlecoil of the evo just wound a bit hotter

#7 ·
I think your best asking DiMarzio and using their online tool.
I have been recommended Breeds by DiMarzio after I explained I wanted to get Vai, Satch, gilbert and Dream Theater tones.

I went with Tone Zone + Air Norton and a HS-2.
I fitted them today and found I can get everything I wanted!

Even tho the guitar is a basswood body its not to bassy. You have to remember you have a floyd on there and they can make things a lil thinner than usual.

Breed or Norton series deffinately :)
Oh for the single, it depends if you want to go for cancelling or not, Blue Velvet if you dont want hum cancelling, HS-2 is a weak pickup but you get nice crunch tones out of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.