Ibanez JEM Forum banner
3K views 19 replies 5 participants last post by  Two hands31 
#1 ·
Ok, I've got a Squire Strat with a DiMarzio Super Distortion (yes, I'm sure many of you have heard this before from me) and I currently have it wired like this:

Position 1 (bridge side) = Super Distortion (both coils)
Position 2 = Super Distortion (both coils) + middle SC
Position 3 = middle SC
Position 4 = neck SC + middle SC
Position 5 = neck SC

I want it like this:

Position 1 = Super Distortion (both coils)
Position 2 = Super Distortion (neck side coil) + middle SC
Position 3 = middle SC
Position 4 = neck SC + middle SC
Position 5 = neck SC

Is this possible?  If yes, how?  If no, what do I need?

#3 ·
Re-Wiring Question

It's possible, I know that much. But I'm electronically inept, so I'm certainly not the best person to answer it.

You could always send an e-mail to Dimarzio customer service and ask them to draw you a diagram. They usually get back to me within a day or two. Since you've got a Super Distortion in there, I'm sure they'll be glad to help.

--B

#4 ·
Re-Wiring Question

Okay, I'll try to help...

First, do you want to keep the separate tones(one for neck, one for middle/bridge)? If so, you need a different switch, preferably the Fender 'megaswitch'(it has a bit simplier layout to it, easier than Dimarzio's mega).. If you go this rout, I can draw up a diagram for you.. :)

If you don't care, and can live with a master tone control, you can use the switch that's in it. It's not really complicated, just moving a few wires, and adding one.. :)

Your call on this one, let me know and I'll work it out for you..

#5 ·
Re-Wiring Question

toshiro on 1:08 am on Jan. 2, 2002
Okay, I'll try to help...

First, do you want to keep the separate tones(one for neck, one for middle/bridge)? If so, you need a different switch, preferably the Fender 'megaswitch'(it has a bit simplier layout to it, easier than Dimarzio's mega).. If you go this rout, I can draw up a diagram for you.. :)

If you don't care, and can live with a master tone control, you can use the switch that's in it. It's not really complicated, just moving a few wires, and adding one.. :)

Your call on this one, let me know and I'll work it out for you..
Two Hands won't need a new anything. This can be done with the 5way he has.

Two Hands.....Where do you have the BLACK & WHITE wires from the Super Distortion soldered?

If you don't have them soldered anywhere, you'll need to twist them together and solder them to the switch. If you have the plastic 5way, solder them to the lug right next to where the bridge hot wire is. If you have the switch that has the opposing, staggered poles, you need to solder them to the pole kitty-corner from the hotwire, one away.

J>:thumbsup:

#6 ·
Re-Wiring Question

Hold on a sec...

Is a Squier wired differently than a normal strat? AFAIK, strats have both sides of the switch run to hot.. This way they put the tones on one side of the switch, and the pickups on the other. I can't be positive, but if it's like a regular strat wiring, then putting the white + black on the switch will send them to hot, which will get the bridge-side coil of the SD. You'd need to put it on the middle-postition lug anyway, or it would be tapped all the time.

I could be completely off base, but all the strats I've wired have needed either a new switch, or a change to master tone, to do what he wants. The 'Lone Star' strat is wired with a 'megaswitch' from the factory, just to do what he's talking about here, without losing the pickup-specific tone controls.. ;)

#8 ·
Re-Wiring Question

Toshiro,
You are correct, but like with Ibanez, you would need to turn the pickup 180 degrees so that the coil that is active is toward the neck.

A common practice with many guitar wirings.
JPM's are the only guitars that do the very same thing, but don't install the p'up backwards.

J>:biggrin:

#10 ·
Re-Wiring Question

After rechecking my RG, I'm positive sending the tap wires(black + white) to hot uses the bridge coil. Send them to ground, and you get the neck coil(standard coil tap).. ;) That guitar is a mess, with inside coils on one position, and outside coils on another.. :)

The inverted pickup trick is for the neck pickup, as it would normally have the neck-side coil on in tap mode, you flip it to bring it in to get more of a strat sound.. Dimarzios look backwards when they're in right, the side with the wire coming out should be on the control-side of the guitar(oposite for a neck hum, in a HSH guitar)... ;)

Okay.. TwoHands, I'll draw up some diagrams for you tonight.. I'll be using Fender's switch as a model for the megaswitch wiring, as it's easier(and I have 3 of them in the house).. :) I'll either email them to you, or post 'em here..

#12 ·
Re-Wiring Question

We've got some crossed wires here Jimm (bad pun, I know).. :)

I'm talking about when you coil tap a pickup. A standard coil tap involves sending the series connection (black and white wires together on a Dimarzio) to ground. That's all I'm saying.. You can send those two wires to hot, to get the oposite coil, but usually for a normal tap you send them to ground.. That's all I'm saying, not even getting into the regular pickup ground.. :)

#13 ·
Re-Wiring Question

OK just been reading (I think my previous posts are the ones relating to this so I will follow this one)....I am now more confused on what is going on. I'm trying to get the same deal done but with a standard H-S-H RG. Why not kill two birds with one stone in this thread. I am trying to get the same results with my new bridge Super Distortion. My new source of confusion is where to solder the green/bare and black/white.....someone please tell me which goes to the switch and which goes to the ground.....

Here are some wiring diagrams for reference......
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/diagrams/stratautotap.html (Strat 5 way auto tap - what Two Hands wants)
http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/schematics/hum_sing_sing_1vol_1tone_5w.htm (Close to what Two Hands has now lacking another tone control)
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/diagrams/hsh.html (What I want but strat-esque switch used in diagram)
http://www.ibanez.com/wiring/W97043.gif (What I have now)
http://www.ibanez.com/wiring/W97044.gif (JEM555 - what I want but not sure of)

Also while I'm at it.....the orientation of the pickup was mentioned....which is the right way? Logo up when headstock is towards the ceiling?

Note Ibanez USA site down at the moment...

#14 ·
Re-Wiring Question

Okay, seeing as my scanner doesn't like me tonight(that's what I get for keeping it 3 years I guess), I'll try to answer RG's question.

Black + White: to the switch

Green + Bare: to ground(back of pot)

The reversal(physical) of the neck pickup is normal for an Ibanez guitar, look at Jimm's link, and it'll show which way the writing ends up.. :biggrin:

Two hands - For the master-tone wiring I mentioned earlier, look at Jimm's link also, if you ignore the neck pickup tap part, this is the wiring for that(unless you have the white plastic switch, which should match up with the JEM555, or any Dimarzio eqiuped RG, wiring).. It might take me a day to get the other version(megaswitch) up and running, I don't have a diagram handy, so I'll have to build it from scratch.. :( I've done the megaswitch mod to a couple customer's guitars, but those were all 'winged', never made out a diagram..

#16 ·
Re-Wiring Question

Cool, learn something new everyday.. Never even thought of moving the tones over onto the pickup side of the switch.. :doh: Have to put them somewhere though, it makes sense..

Thanks RG Guy, you are the man. :)

Two-hands: look at his link, that's got you covered.. :biggrin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.