Ibanez JEM Forum banner

540pii on the way

2K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  bdk 
#1 ·
So I finally got my dream guitar but have a dilemma, what to do with the ONE knob it comes with. I know the standard response, is use the knob for volume and let the tone not have a knob. What does this do to the tone? does it set it at full treble? In all reality, with a shred guitar I will probably play at full volume all the time. Is this wiring possible? If the volume isn't wired in will it be set at 10 all the time? And then can i use the tone only?

#2 ·
i think i don't understand: you're gonna use the tone only and no volume? anyway, yes, if you skip the volume it would be set at 10 all the time, and the guitar would probably sound a bit brighter than with the volume wired, because anything you put in a signal chain is a filter even if set at 10, as a filter tends to smoothen the sound a bit.

#7 ·
I bought one in sad shape off the bay. It has an awful black spray paint paint job over the original DY. Tons of scratches, nicks and even a name scratched into the back. The neck has a fair amount of wear, and the start of a crack behind the nut. As soon as my "stimulus" check comes in, I will be getting her painted Candy Apple Red, with a matching headstock. I am also considering a fret job. I love these guitars!

#8 ·
Thank you gentlemen for your kind responsses. Oh...she needs to be painted, the body is sanded down. Got her today. The neck looks BRAND NEW. It was a "project" someone sold on **** for 500 bucks, but it comes with everything, original edge, F3, c2 pickups, neck, body. Man, I'm stoked. Gettting her painted starting Monday, then reassembled. GONNA ROCK!!!

Still debating about that knob man. Maybe I'll just go volume, or do one of those ugly two knob deals. NOT drilling anything into this guitar though. She'll be nice DY yellow soon enough!!!

#15 ·
The only situation when you use the tone knob is when you're playing single coils, which is not the case...

at least that works for me
No, the neck is a single coil, or a stacked humbucker, but it sounds like a single coil. Also, I do use my tone knob with my humbuckers too. It really jsut depends. THere's no way I'm drilling. In the end I think Volume is just more necessary when playing live. What a tough decision. Thanks for all the responses. Dropped her off today to get painted Desert Yellow, will have back in a month or so. I'll put some picks of that 45mm nut and the neck. What a awesome guitar neck.. WOW

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.