Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Building from scratch

3K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  benhal9 
#1 ·
Hi gang. I am getting started a list of stuff. I am going to build from scratch my first guitar and I am goin to do it with my 9 year old son. I have chosen to do a Vai style jem and know the basics. What I don't know is best hardware, pots, wiring, and assembly... OK, I know nothing and need a ton of help! Anyone else do a top to bottom like this, and have you saved your parts list and diagrams? Also, anyone looking to unload good parts cheap, I am on a very small budget.
Thanks,
Ben

#5 ·
For clarification-- When you say "build" do you mean you're starting from neck and body blanks (big chunks of wood) and carving everything yourself? Or do you mean that you plan to purchase a neck, body, etc and then assemble it yourself? People use the term "build" both ways.

If the first -- there are blueprints (templates and AutoCad diagrams) for the Jem floating around that would be invaluable for you. Also, check out all the tutorials in the Project Guitar forums.

#6 ·
No, I will be ordering a cut body and neck. I am looking to recreate as close as possible. My 9 year old son knows nothing, and the only thing I got going for me is 20 years of playing, but I have never built a guitar. And the last thing I want to do is pop a $1,000 or more on parts and get the wrong thing or assemble somethings wrong or come up with a steaming dog rocket because I did not do the research. What I have found is off of the ibanez site, but the specs they show are for current, sold to the masses. And they don't list things like preffered hardware and things like that. My son really loves Vai (I tought my boy well) and I realy want this to be something we can brag about when complete.

#7 ·
that courtney person wants to start making custom bodies and necks. Perhaps you should contact him for pricing and options. user ID: courtney2018.

"Bluilding" from parts is quite fun, good luck!

ps (I think you're on target by saying you'll be paying around $1000. neck and body are ~200 each, then pickups, bridge, tuners, electronics can easily eat up $400-600 depending on your tastes).

#9 ·
I must say that it's too bad that warmoth doesn't offer replacement and/or custom ibanez style guitars. I quite like AANJ, and it's unfortunate that warmoth doesn't just license it and sell it. They only do strat and tele neck pockets:( Their contoured heel is nowhere near as comfortable as the a AANJ. Too bad.

I don't think you can get a jem replica from warmoth (depending on how much work/routing/drilling/profile sawing you want to do). They don't have ibanez headstock shapes, nor do they have monkey grips, nor do they have lion claws.

#11 ·
I saw those bodies and necks too. If the people don't answer the phone they don't get my money! Checked out Warmoth, and if I ever make another style I will deffinately go see them. That is some sickstuff they have. I decided on Legacy One Guitars for the body and neck. I went with the ebony DNA neck for it. I found a guy localy to do my paint. So now I need tuners trem, pots and switch.

#13 ·
First impresions of Chris at Legacy One over the phone was that was knowledgeable curtious and understood what I wanted. He set everything up for quick delivery. And hopefuly by this time next week I will be looking at my neck and body. Total cost for them is $465. So far so good.

#14 ·
Ok... So i am getting ready to order pots and 5 way.... but I got problems. I can not find a vlx91 5 way anywhere. So, what is the recommended 5 way and pots seeing as though I will be using an HSH set up with evolution DP159, DPS1, and DP158 pickups.

#17 ·
Ive just finished my project, sounds similar to yours (there's a thread around here somewhere with it in). I just bought all my parts off 'the bay' week by week. never had a dodgy seller or anything. altogether i think i spent about £400 (approx $600) and ive got some pretty decent hardware on there.

Bought a body and neck
Gotoh floyd trem & nut
Gotoh tuners
EMG 81 & 85 pickups (which came with pots and wiring etc)
strap buttons
screws & ferrels
pick-up rings
Tone/ volume controls
selector switch

and thats about it

Simples!

Hope it goes well

#18 ·
Just a little update. I have ordered and recieved most of my parts needed. Body and neck are out to paint and should be done in another week or so. And I still need to make at least one more order before I can start assembling. It is my understanding that I can't post pix of this because of a post count. Anyone feel like hosting them for me?

#23 ·
.022uf(microfarad) on the jem tone. The vlx-91 equivalent can be bought at allparts. Any questions on parts, etc. feel free to pm me as i am doing the same thing you are with a jem build. I got my body already painted and ready for clear for $130 from a guy that lives in northern illinois. Im gonna order my neck custom from etguitars....one of the sponsors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.