Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Edge 3 Tuning problem!!!

7K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  andrewpmast 
#1 ·
My stupid edge 3 is annoying me BIG TIME! Whenever I tune up one string all the others tune down and I keep tuning up and it just dumps my trem too far forward and I can't get it in tune! Please can anyone tell me what is wrong? Usually I can get it tuned eventually but now it just won't settle.

#8 ·
Too tight? The trem will nose up if too tight, down if not tight enough.

Prydogga the normal Ibanez gauge is .09 - .46 (? or is it .42), if you're heavier you'll definitely nosedive the trem and may need to add another spring for .10s and thicker.

Don't worry, next time round it'll be a dawdle.

#4 ·
Yeah when I got the guitar I didn't read up on the string gauges I was supposed to use and I had to re-tighten it but obvoiusly I have it slightly wrong. Too bad taking it to a guitar shop is a task of driving a few hours away. It's not a problem of staying in tune it's getting it into tune.

#6 ·
Welcome to the world of floating trems :rolleyes:

Just keep trying you have to find the balance between string tension and spring tension

You said usually you could get it tuned evenly, have you done anything different lately: changed string guage or not stretched your strings in properly.

Oh and you can try Rich Harris' trick of applying chap stick to the knife edges and trem posts to lubricate them. It prevents the trem catching on the posts keeping it in tune :razz: It works wonders

#7 ·
The only thing I've done lately was when I tightened it a while back when it was forward dumped and after that the tuning has been a puzzle, it was manageable but now it's almost impossible, and it doesn't help that I'm using the wrong string gauge. Tonight I shall try to find the right balance to get it in tune and hope that I don't break a string and have to repeat the process between then and when I get my 1527!

#21 ·
Buy new and stiffer (or more) springs.

It really depends. An inch, half an inch? BTW, have you tried to connect the springs to the claw so that they run diagonally rather than from hole 1 on the trem to hook 1 on the claw? Doing this will increase the tension of the springs.
I would but my trem scares the hell outa me ass it is, I don't want to risk fiddling with it much more, when I get my 1527 I'll treat it much better.

#24 ·
I think you need to slide a shim under the back of the bridge making it level to the guitar before you tune. Then, when tuned slide the shim out. If it remains level then lock your nut. If not then adjust the springs tension, shim and retune until you've achieved the equal tension between strings and springs.

#25 ·
If I may step back a bit... are you guys saying that ALL Ibanez are built with 09-42 gauge?

Mine has 10s on it but it's not a big deal because it hasn't got a Floyd-style trem.

I eventually will get one with an Edge or ZR, etc. but I 09-42 is too light for me. Is it going to be this problematic if 10-46s are used?

#26 ·
The only pointy guitars I can think of (offhand) that shipped standard without .09s are the MTMs, the RG2228 and the various baritone guitars - the majority don't have floating trems.

It's a bit more of a mission to set up at a higher gauge: adjust trem claw, add new springs in need, adjust intonation in need. It's not that terrible a job though.

If you're buying from a dealer, let them go to the effort as part of the initial purchase :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.