Ibanez JEM Forum banner

New Jem7vwh with light discoloration on neck - should I pay

2K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Jeroenn 
#1 ·
I've been ranting about the new Jem 7vwh I'm about to buy. Actually, I have put a down payment on it (that is rufundable of course, should i decide I don't want it).  I notice that on the fretboard (actually not on it, but on the top of the fretboard) there is some slight discoloration, it looks a bit faded; almost pinker.  I hope im being clear about the location - the part of the fretboard that joins with the wood of the neck, where the fret 'dots' are; the part you see when your playing the guitar and you look down at it. (where your thumb often overlaps).

It is a small area around the 5th fret that has some discoloration.  The discoloraton is about 2 cm long, and looks kinda like a 'wipe' of discolouration.  The fretboard itself is immaculate.  
Should I be paying full price for this?  Is it a minor thing, or should I demand a discount? I don't remember seeing any indication that its a 2nd guitar (a defect marked by ibanez)
HELP!!  

What do u think Jemsite? Everyone?

#3 ·
New Jem7vwh with light discoloration on neck

I'd say it probably, almost definately won't be a problem. Must have just sqeaked by Ibanez's QC... or maybe it happened at the store. It wouldn't hurt to ask the store to knock a little off... maybe $100? $200? After all, YOU are the buyer, and it will still be a damn nice guitar. It's a JEM.

#5 ·

What Glen said.

Maple can occasionally have some real pink almost bordering on red spots (I have a piece in front of me that looks like it's got blotchy measles :)
It's not a defect, just that that cut had a little pink in it.

Just think of it as the trees birth mark :biggrin:

Steve

(Edited by ripl3y at 9:30 am on Jan. 28, 2002)

#6 ·

I wouldn't be worried about it. The tree birthmark is a cute idea!

I'm also one of the few person's on the planet who don't really care if their gear gets beat up or not. I don't mean like banging it up on purpose, but a scratch or two here and there won't make me cry or use the gear less. (Unless I plan on reselling it...in which case....I'm an anally retentive bastard..)

#7 ·

:frog:

There are actualy lighter areas on the ebony fretboard of my 90HAM (they just look like veins...). Give me another one with a "perfect" black fretboard, and I'll answer you : "No thanks, it's not mine !"

As Huey Lewis would say, "And that's the power of wood". OK, this one was lame, but true (isn't it the title of a Metallica tune ?)

Ok, time to go to bed in Europe, now... But don't worry, it'sonly wood !

#8 ·

Ebony can have very light streeks on it. I have an ebony board which has almost white-ish grain on it. I think it looks kinda cool. But then again my 7v has a 100 black board, almost looks like matt plastic. I think that looks even better.. :)
But it feels and sounds the same, so. I don't think you'll get some kind of discount out of it.
Uniqeness, remember.. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.