Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Anyone try a Vox Night Train?

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  smooth55 
#1 ·
I've always wanted a low wattage tube amp so I'm thinking of ordering a Vox Night Train. I was just wondering if any of the knowledgeable Jemsiters have owned or tried one. I'd be hooking it up to a custom made 2x12 cab. Playing classic rock mostly.
I'm also looknig at the Vox ac4 head but I'm not sure if it would be loud enough to jam with.
The Tiny Terror is another option and the 5 watt Blackstar head looks tempting but hard to find and again maybe not loud enough for the occasional jam.

#2 ·
I haven't tried any of those, sorry. But I compared the Fender 600, the Peavey Royal 8, and the JSX Mini Colossal. Tone and features, the Mini Colossal was best of the bunch. I love it. It can get LOUD, amazingly so for something so small.

I have examined the Night Train and it looks great, really well made. I haven't played it just cause I have the Mini . . . but I have no money!

#4 ·
Personally I found the Night Train to be very very noisy, and so much so that I could not enjoy its tone (which to me comes off as trebly and crass).

I am much much more a fan of the Orange Tiny Terror (I am however biased towards Orange amps, and like the uniqueness of their tone).

The Mini Collossal was cool, but not very classic-rocky, IMO...very smooth though and pretty versatile though...

My vote is still with the Tiny Terror, for sure, and i've spent alot of down time on all these amps (but it all comes down to taste and which guitar you use too...) I did like the AC4, but its not powerful at all, its more like a bedside amp.

#5 ·
HT-5 with a descent cabinet should get you loud enough for jams. 2x12 with decent speakers, or even 4x12 if you really want. I've got a HT-5 head playing through the 12" speaker on my old combo amp and it's really loud. Dropping in a Vintage 30 which should boost level a little, and give more clarity too.

#6 ·
I'll +1 to both the HT-5 and the Mini Colossal. The HT-5 might have a little bit more feature-wise with the 2 channel and 3 band EQ controls, but the lil peavey is so dang cheap at the moment and it has a lot of tonal variability despite its minimalist controls. I love both and don't think you can go wrong with either. They'll power a cab and will be loud enough to jam with although you won't get cleans at gig levels. 5 watts just isn't enough headroom for the cleans but both are great for jams and portability. On that note, I don't know what speakers you have in your custom cab, but the peavey offers 4ohm cab compatibility whereas the HT-5 is only 16ohm and 8ohm.
As for the Vox, it looks pretty solid, but I would probably go with the HT-5 head for $100 less. You might also want to consider one of the new Jet City 20 heads as well.

#7 ·
Well I was out at the guitar shops today and I found a used mint condition peavey delta blues 2x10. I tried it out and I really like the sound of this so I bought it. The price was great and the amp is like new. I don't know much about these amps but I really liked the way it sounded in the store.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.