Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Dave Weiner now PRS

22K views 83 replies 42 participants last post by  VashIbbyPlayer 
#1 ·

seems official, hes hooked up with PRS. I'm excited to see what new ideas he brings to PRS.

#6 ·
he teachs at some music schools now, the California one (berkley?) anyways, point being, 80% of the people going thru there are jazz/blues guys, and if Dave (the teacher) came in with a pink 80s ibanez, they wouldnt take him seriously. Thats why hes been playing strats/telecasters and stuff lately.

#8 ·
nah mate this isn't true. his Ibanez LACS was a pretty nice guitar, nothing like a shocking pink jem. And he teaches at GIT, so most of the players would be liberal when it came to guitar choice.

he changed because Ibanez wasn't giving him what he wanted, or thats the gist of what I heard... he also said he missed the more vintage tones of strats, teles and pauls.

#12 ·
Well one of his ROTW videos he specifically mentioned he taught alot of blues/jazz guys and he needed strats/telecasters for that, so its pretty much implied that he knows about how the music industry works; certain people wont take you serious in those fields (blues/jazz) if you dont own a fender, or at least something looking like that.

I went to school with abunch of those guys and they all would only buy strats or maybe the odd Gretch or 335 hollowbody, its just the way things are.

#18 ·
Funny really, I guess people just don't like it when someone rejects their favorite brand.
I've tried a few PRSs over the years, single and double cut and none of them really spoke to me like my 7VWH, build quality was good though and a test is not the same as living with one.
Thank heavens people have different tastes.
Jim

#26 ·
Hey folks..

Yes I am working with PRS. Great people, great guitars. I left Ibanez because I didn't want to be exclusive anymore. My tastes and needs also changed and Strats and Teles and Les Pauls were answering the call.

PRS kind of happened out of nowhere. I never really played them as they're fairly expensive... and like driving a Porsche or Ferrari.. you don't want to get into them b/c getting back in your Mazda (which I have) will just not cut it afterwards. I digress.

After speaking with PRS (who are some of the most passionate, forward-thinking and genuine people you'll find in the business) and playing a few models, I realized they are an ideal, all-purpose touring guitar for both my own music and Vai's. And as much as I love Strats and Teles (and will continue to play them), neither of those can handle all the tones I need for the immediate future. Can you picture me playing my "Long Run" or "Monument Shine" or Vai's "Building the Church" on a Strat or Tele? No.. but on a PRS? Hell yes.

As I said, I no longer will do exclusive contracts and the good people at PRS understand that. If a song calls for a Strat or Tele, I'll be playing it. But otherwise, the PRSs will be on duty. And yes, we're doing a 7.

Hope everyone's well.
Dave

PS - new record coming April or May.... I think...

#40 ·
Hi Dave,

I'll be quite curious how your customs turn out! They sound very exciting.

And after hearing your new PRS 513 on your recent video as well as on some other YouTubes, I can say the tones from it are very, very sweet. Who knows, I might end up adding a 513 to my collection. ;-) I found odd that the 513 is officially "discontinued" according to the PRS website, considering it seems to be the most versatile design. (Only available 25th Anniversary edition?)

Anyway, congrats on your new non-exclusive endorsement. Really looking forward to hearing more from your PRS guitar.

Gary

#41 ·
So I just sat and watched Dave (who I already had great respect for anyway), and his ROTW series for about 30 minutes...8O OMFGIH!!!

That is an all around fantastic player right there...It seems I forget how good he is because I'm always concentrating on Vai...It's nice rediscovering him every now and again...More power to the PRS deal and whatever makes the magic happen...:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.