Ibanez JEM Forum banner

can you drop C tune a ZR equipped guitar?

5K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  DavyH 
#1 ·
ok...here i am again with another question. can you drop C tune a ZR equipped guitar? if so, how?

#2 ·
Yes, it can be done. The obvious answer is by loosening the strings far enough, but to compensate the lower string tension you might want to use thicker strings, remove the ZPS-bar and loosening the spring system in the back. Also, if your planning to re-tune your guitar often (from standard tuning to drop-C and back, etc.) you might want to do that with another (hard-tail) guitar.

#6 ·
Not necessarily a "must" but recommended since the tension of 9's to Drop C would mean a very loose set of strings... unless that's what you're looking for :)
... i've used EB Beefy Slinky for C standard (54 top, 11 bottom) on a couple of RG's and a ZR-II equipped S... works great after adjusting and all that techie stuff.
For Drop C, you can have the 54 top and have 10's on the rest: that should work.

Reg

#11 ·
thanks for all the info guys...ill give it a try this week end and see what happend. but before i go crazy with all the proses and what not. i have one more concern.

i only have 1 guitar. so ill be going back and forth with the tuning and all. from drop C to D then back to standard E vise versa.

if i go ahead and change my strings to .10's just to achieve the drop C tuning will i be having a hard time playing on standard tuning? like for example on the solos ? or better yet will it be easy going back and forth with the tuning? from drop C to D then to standards and vise versa?:p

#17 ·
it was a success! i remembered that i have a spare guitar that was hidden somewhere in my apartment hehehe. it was an old samick that has a floyd. it was time consuming in configuring the whole thing. from changing the strings, intonation, spring tention, truss rod adjustment. i was going back and forth just to get it right (it took a while though) but it worked out fine. i was hesitant on doing it with my ibanez so i left it be with the standard E tuning. thanks guys with all the help and tips. you guys ROCK!!! :mrgreen: this is one hell of a helpfull site kudos JEMSITE and to all of its members.:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.