Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Will using a XLR (I think) for my rack EQ reduce noise?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  toneboy 
#1 · (Edited)
So UPS just delivered the MXR rack EQ I ordered a week ago to my house, and I am very pleased with it. There is one problem though. It makes my signal very, very noisy. I am using the standard TRS in and out jacks in the back. But there are also what I believe to be XLR In's and Outs. They look like this but there's only one of each (http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/oct08/images/DbxDriveRackPX_02.jpg). Thats XLR right? The amp I am getting within the next two weeks is a Carvin X100B, which has the same type of jack. If I use these jacks might I get less noise in my signal or is it just the EQ and I'll have to get a noise gate? Sorry for writing so much! I'm a rack gear noob and this is my first piece of rack gear!

Also what cables would you recommend for these jacks. I was looking at XLR's just in case these are XLR's and they were all microphone cables?? Because if possible I would like to use these to have a seperate connection for the rack stuff instead of running from my pedals into the EQ then into the amp's input.

Thanks!

#4 ·
XLR cables have less noise because they're balanced cables, BUT for them to work you need to have 2 copies of the one signal going down the cable, and differential amplifiers, which invert one of the signals and cancelling out the noise. Since guitars and amps only have one signal, they wont be any different from TRS leads, so its pretty pointless, plus almost no guitar gear uses XLR it might cause problems with connecting other gear.

#5 ·
Whoa there partner, you're getting ahead of yourself. Let's clear up a few things first.

First, how do you have the EQ set and by that I mean, what the settings for each band as well as the input and output levels?

Second, putting an EQ before your amp is a very easy way to introduce extra noise into your signal IF you set-up it up just the wrong way.

#6 ·
So I can hook the EQ from the XLR on the amp into the XLR on the EQ? If I do so would I put it in the input or output on the EQ? And an XLR microphone cable would work, correct?

First, how do you have the EQ set and by that I mean, what the settings for each band as well as the input and output levels?
First of all it's a 31-band and mids are boosted and the bass and treble are lower, a bit above the middle position.

Thanks for your guys' help!

#7 ·
Considering this a rack mount EQ, I'd bet it's not designed to have an instrument plugged directly into it. Most rack mount EQs are looking for a line level signal, such as that from an effects loop. If that is the case with your EQ than that's where part of your noise is coming from.

Please post the model # of the EQ you purchased.

#9 ·
That EQ was not designed to be used to run in-line with a guitar signal. It will work but it will be noisy. It would be quieter if you ran it through you FX loop but even then, it's an old EQ and even when they were new (I sold them new), they weren't that quiet.

There's no point in dealing with balanced cables for this. It's not going to help with noise.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.