Ibanez JEM Forum banner

NEW GUITAR DAY: Fender American Vintage '62 Reissue Strat

9K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  LordGrendel 
#1 ·
I know I just posted about my agonising Jem/Strat trading decision, but following the wise counsel of the benevolent elcid, here's my NGD Thread!

Say hello to my brand new 2010 Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster Reissue in Olympic White! She's sleek! She's sexy! She's tuneful! She's mine! I traded my Jem for her and I'm loving being a Fender Guy. I tried almost every US-made Strat at World of Music in Brighton East here in Melbourne, and the '62 just spoke to me.

Dig those specs. 7.25" radius rosewood fretboard, 6-screw vintage trem, vintage-correct 3-way pickup switch, the middle pickup is NOT reverse wind/reverse polarity for hum cancelling, and the case candy includes the original ashtray bridge cover, a leather strap and an old-school cable. Although it's very different to all my other guitars, I really like the setup (Fender 10-46 strings, medium action, floating trem with a good deal of tension). I'm going to keep it totally as-is: while I may eventually swap the 3-way switch for the 5-way (which Fender includes as case candy), for now I'm really enjoying playing this guitar pretty much as a real '62 would have been if I'd bought one from the store in 1962.

This guitar is already suggesting what it wants me to play on it. It likes complex chords voiced around the 5th-12th frets, with some light whammy shimmer, as well as screaming bends on the B string (no, the curvy fretboard radius and tiny frets haven't resulted in any fretting out at all during bends, although you do have to work a little harder for it compared to a flatter radius and big frets).

First up, a dark iPhone pic. The rest are nice shiny Olympus digital SLR photos for your ogling pleasure.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.