Ibanez JEM Forum banner

JEM or Jason Becker Signature?!!??!!!

10K views 31 replies 21 participants last post by  tommyplays 
#1 ·
Ok so I've recently saved up just enough to buy a new wife but I've got one problem.. For a very long while now I've wanted a Jem but the same goes for the Jason becker Signature from Paradise guitars, now because the prices are very similar they're both options. The problem is that I really want the JB guitar but I've never tried it out and I've tried the Jem but don't really want a guitar millions of people in the world have it's just not AS exclusive (not to say it in a bad way 'cause I do love the guitar but the JB guitar is a little more exclusive in my eyes). So from anybody that's tried either one or the other or even both please list things like differnces and simmilarities and pros and cons between pickups and how the necks compare and contrast thanks!!

#6 ·
Jason Becker is one of my favorite guitarists and that signature guitar is awesome.I would say go for the JB sig(I would if I could afford it) because like you said,millions of people have some form of a jem and those JB's are something different to have.The choice is yours though, :D

#7 ·
As I have both of them (several Jems actually), and each Jem is unique in terms of "feeling", playability and sound, I would go for the Jason Becker.
A little different guitar from Jem, but I am pretty confident that you'll not regret it (at least from my experience).
My main axes these days are my player PMC and my JB.
And when you save enough again, go find a Jem that speaks to you.......

#9 ·
I thimnk it´s kinda cool to have more exclusivity and not play evreryone´s axe... but unless you don´t be playing live night by night and if guitars is for playing home or with friends I think you don´t be so hard with Jem or other signature more mass produced.. remember that the JS Paradise is still a signature. I mean... just try to play both and choose the one that fits better for you.. for sound and comodity don´t do it by look or exclusivity if guitar is won´t be hanging on a wall... I know the look is also important but not more than playiability or sound.

There are lot of Jem models with diffrent neck shapes and feels and finishes... so you probably could find one of your own.

There are very good signatures and others not so good. Some worhts the money and other ones better you made a pile with them for a BBQ.

If you want a very unique guitar of your own.. try to order a custom guitar or do one by yourself from good parts as Warmoth etc... so in this case you will have a very one of a kind guitar with all your specs about neck, body shape, pups, bridge, finish... and at the end if the pieces are properly selected you couldn´t find so much difference with a major brand labeled guitar.

Good luck and don´t be crazy too much about this... ther are millions of very goods guitars outside of hundreds of brands waiting for be played and buyed.. so don´t be so much sick.

Cheers¡¡

Javier

#11 ·
You want a more exclusive guitar ? are you buying it to hide away or to play... Get the one that pleases you more when you look at it and the one that is better for you to play.. I wouldn't spend all that money and not even try it out... I think thats the most stupid thing you could do at this point...

#12 ·
As far as quality goes, The Jason Becker (at least mine) has no flaws and it played right out of the box :)
As I have just finished a custom project, I find that it needs some adjusting.... more thinking on what I am trying to achieve or what am I after.... so an ALMOST custom guitar (like the JB) resolves most issues ;-)
To be honest, if I had to choose between my player PMC and JB, PMC would be the winner. But JB compared to my 2 GMCs, my mint PMC, my LNG and my DNA in terms of playbility, sound and overall simplicity is my weapon of choice

#14 ·
I've always been partial to the JB model, just because it's so frickin' different from everything else I see! You already said you weren't crazy about having a guitar that 145,394.1 million people own, so I'd be true to yourself in this situation and maybe steer clear of a Jem. I just checked eBay and there's a JB signature for $1,500 starting bid or $1,800 buy it now. I'd post a link but I'm new here so it won't let me (<-- ridiculous!)

#18 ·
Ok so I've recently saved up just enough to buy a new wife but I've got one problem.. For a very long while now I've wanted a Jem but the same goes for the Jason becker Signature from Paradise guitars, now because the prices are very similar they're both options. The problem is that I really want the JB guitar but I've never tried it out and I've tried the Jem but don't really want a guitar millions of people in the world have it's just not AS exclusive (not to say it in a bad way 'cause I do love the guitar but the JB guitar is a little more exclusive in my eyes). So from anybody that's tried either one or the other or even both please list things like differnces and simmilarities and pros and cons between pickups and how the necks compare and contrast thanks!!
chinese mail order brides getting more expensive? Try russian ones :D

The JB looks like a toy to be honest, but its got his name on it, so Im willing to bet its a pretty sweet instrument. I have never played one, so I cant comment directly, but I can say that theres a REASON so many people buy jems :)

I believe the JB models will go up drastically in value when he dies, at least for a little while, if you want to think of it from a business sense.

#27 ·
I'm not sure if they are still available, but Tommy from Paradise is a good friend of our community and always goes out of his way to help us out. I know he is having an issue with his banner here at the moment, but he is also a sponsor of our site and forum.

Tommy at Paradise Guitars can be found at the following website, though the Becker link does look to be dead at the moment:

http://www.pickguardparadise.com/main.html

#32 · (Edited)
Pickguard Paradise now owns Paradise guitars usa, They are working on a new banner for jemsite so it might take a little while , There might be a new Becker model coming out soon with a different headstock, not sure yet, But i will give Jemsite members a price break. I would like to thank all jemsite members for their opinions and support.
Tom G

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.