Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Sold My Jem

Tags
jem 77 fp
3K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  nickcoumbe 
#1 ·
Well, it is a new year and a sad day.

I have sold my Jem 77FP. Apart from being a great guitar I bought it on the day that my wife realised she was pregnant with our son. That was a good day and the guitar has always had a great sentimental value.

Unfortunately redundancy has forced my hand somewhat, but it was great owning one of the most iconic guitars of all time. Jems are one of the best guitars I have ever played and I will get another some day.

Anyway Jemsite, sorry to say that you are now a man down!

#4 ·
Nick, I assure you that we are NOT a man down. IMO, the amount of Ibanez guitars (Jem or otherwise) in your home has NO bearing on how your valued here at Jemsite. You've been here for a long time and been a valuable source of information, discussion, and occasional humor. I for one appreciate that. I hope that your not planning to leave Jemsite (as your last sentance seems to elude to), but only you can decide that.

If it helps, I'm a 43 year old Dad of two sons and two step children. I fully understand the need to sell off equipment for the families needs. Guitars come and go, but your family is forever. I'm quite sure that there will be an NGD in your not to distant future that will have all of our jaws dropping. Until that time, I truly hope you will be here as you have been in the past.

Ryc

BTW..... I wish I had known you were selling your FP. I would have bought it and kept it til you were ready to get it back again.

#6 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear about it, but you letting it go means that someone else gets to enjoy it. I wouldn't have a single one of my guitars if nobody ever decided to let theirs go! I came home from NYE celebrations to this pic in my inbox:

I can't wait until it gets here!

Several years ago I sold a '96 USRG30BT that I bought brand new and thought that I was not going to play guitar any more. Years later, things changed and I started playing again. I still miss the USRG, but I've got several other really sweet guitars now. Hopefully in a few years you'll be back in the market for another Jem.

#8 ·
Right there with you, bro. We're expecting our first and I've sold a few guitars already, including one of my favorites; my RG7620VK. I don't expect an NGD for a few years at least.
And I haven't owned a Jem in some time. ;)
So excited for child #1, though. Great times! Enjoy!

#9 · (Edited)
This may help, i know how you feel, my brief Jem story:

1991 - Bought my first ever Jem, brand new 77 FP
1993 - Girlfriend Pregnant With Twins....Jem 77 FP sold

2003 - Back into Jems, bought another 77FP, a 77BFP and a 777VBK
2006 - Redundancy...Sold all 3 above (a very sad day indeed)

2010 (October to be precise) - Back into Jems (again) and in the last 2 months bought the following: Jem7VSBL, Jem77FP, Jem777VBK, UV777BK and an XPT700FX 'Xiphos'.

I'm hoping not to get anyone else pregnant or go through redundancy any time soon!!!

You'll be back, just be patient :)

snakeman4968

#10 · (Edited)
Nickcoumbe...like RGTFanatic said 'Guitars come and go, but your family is forever'. Very honourable thing you've done.....i do feel your pain.
I sold a car i built from the ground up, every nut and bolt was new or improved...my soul was in that car.....no one will appreciate the work that i put into it...5years of planning and hard work ...but alas the wife become pregnant and our little shack wasnt going to be big enough and i had to bite the bullet and let the car go.....i cried like a 5yr old over that car...but i know one day another will find its way into my garage!!
Chin up bud!! Material possessions will never replace the ones you love!!

#11 ·
Hang in there mate.. I know only too well the aggravation of redundancy (and that is all it is) and you'll bounce back and be better than before. NGD opportunities won't be far away...

Guitars come and go but family is more important than anything - as all but the most selfish s**ts in the world know. They'll love ya forever for that...

#12 ·
Nick......I forgot to mention in my last post

With regard to having to sell my 77FP due to the girlfriend being pregnant in 1993 etc......well it turned out to be 2 boys who are now 16.....and they are the ones that keep encouraging me to buy Jems :)

They know how much i love the JEM77FP and after i explained my 1993 situation to them, i think they felt guitly LOL

They now want me to buy as many as the credit card will allow so that i can 'Leave them all to them'.

I guess it's all turned full circle and i'm sure it will for you too, hang on in there!!

All the best mate,

snakeman4968

#13 ·
Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Don't worry I would never leave Jemsite! Being a parent does mean making some sacrifices for us all. Selling a jem is a real shame, but I was much more reticent about selling my MX5 (miata to you guys stateside) to get a boring family car a few years ago.

The truth of the matter is that I am now down to only 13 guitars and am just finishing off a custom I started ages ago and am kind of committed to financially. Other guitars/gear will have to go for a number of reasons, but I can't really feel too sorry for myself. Like I said, I have 13 guitars. That is a long way off hardship :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.