Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Ibanez RG2550 or Charvel San Dimas??

17K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  Mike550 
#1 ·
Hey guy's, new to the forum but a long time Ibanez owner. I am thinking of getting one of the Ibanz RG2250's from MF. I have too many guitars tough so was going to get rid of my Charvel San Dimas 1 2H. Everythin else I have is much more expensive and closer to my heart and the San Dimas was the one that seemed most in line with the 2550 (price wise). I want to see if anyone has any thoughts on this move though. I do really like the Charvel and want to make sure I am not making a stupid move. I should also mention thet the Charvel is the slime green color. Thanks for your thoughts.

#3 ·
They're both nice guitars, but so different it'slike comparing apples to oranges. It would be hard to make a choice between one or the other.

Have you played a 2550 to see if you like the way it sounds/plays more?
Do you like maple or rosewood boards better?
Do you like basswood or alder better?
Do you like Edge Trems or OFRs better?
Do you like H/H config, or HSH better?
Do like 24 fret necks, or 22 fret necks more?
Do you like the longer scale of the Ibanez neck?

The Charvel came with Seymour Duncans, and the Ibanez will come with Dimarzio IBZs, which IMO aren't that great. The San Dimas guitars I've played sound much better to me because of the body wood and the pickups.

FWIW, I've got two of the Charvel SoCals, and I've got a slew of Ibanez RGs with rosewood boards: I'd never get rid of the Charvel for another mid-tier prestige.

I personally think the QC for fit and finish on the USA Charvel line is quite a bit better than most of the Prestige I see today, and personally, the Charvels are just soo much fun to play to me.

In terms of resale value, I also think the Charvel will hold a better resale value longer than the Ibanez. Esp. since Charvel's not doing the USA production anymore (not that the MIJ means they're any worse, but there's always that stigma to some people for anything not MIUSA)

It's not uncommon to see the 2550Es go pretty cheap already.

Ultimately, they're both nice guitars. I guess the biggest factor for me would be whether or not you've really bonded with the Charvel, or if you haven't and you're really Jonesing for a new axe. If you don't like the Charvel, and don't play it, not much use in having it IMO.

#4 · (Edited)
Keep the Dimas. If you "have too many guitars", getting rid of one while replacing it with another is only a temporary GAS fix anyway. Just add the RG if you REALLY wan't it.

I have a USA Charvel So-Cal (Transparent Ale) and two RG's ('95 US RG20, 2010 Limited 1420F)....no way I part with ANY of those just to add something else. For recording, I like the differences in tone they all offer, and the all alder CharvALE is a big part of that. As a matter of fact, my next guitar (soon as the tax money shows up here) is gonna be......wait........for...........it, a MIJ SAN DIMAS, lol!

Point is - you have a kinda "collectable" piece in your hands right now with that US Charvel Pro Mod as they are now done with those, prolly for good (from here on they come from Japan as everyone knows). Not saying the US models will eventually be sought after classics, but I dunno, with that line being done now, history may be kind to them, they probably won't be considered like other "dime-a-dozen" guitars either. So....KEEP IT.

DaylightDies does make a great final point though....you have to ask yourself: Am I a player or a collector? I never keep guitars or amps I won't use all the time, just bugs me to hang onto stuff I don't use. I have 3 or 4 guitars and a couple of heads and cabs because I'm not a gear collecting junkie. At some point ya gotta stop and just play.

#6 ·
I am dying to try out one of the new Dimas guitars. I don't mind USA vs JAPAN issue. I just want to find one to feel the neck. No one around me has any in stores to try out. I hate buying sight unseen. Anyone have any detailed descriptions? I think they are compound necks but not sure.

#7 ·
I'll be honest. I own an RG2550MZ (The one with a maple fretboard) and it is an AMAZING guitar. I use it primary for cleans and it sounds and plays beautifully. Ive had a go on a lot of guitars, and this guitar had the sound, and the feel. And it looks pretty damn good.

But i will admit that it NOT a collector's guitar. It definitely a player, to be trashed and worn in, hard.

As for the chavel, honestly, ive never had a go on a non-low end one so i couldn't possible comment. But i do like the specs and look of the so-cal more.

The 2550MZ (WITH the maple fretboard, can't stress that enough) is nothing like any other Ibanez. Take that into consideration. You have to try one to understand this.

#16 ·
I own a RG 2550z and it's a very nice guitar but the neck is too wide for me (58mm the last fret). The neck is nice and thin but the width makes the neck less comfortable to play than my Jem7vwh and my older RG520. You had better try the new Prestige necks before you buy because I do not think they are nearly as nice to play as the older RG and Jem necks - just an opinion cuz I'm sure there's others who like the wider necks but you better be sure before you buy...I pre-ordered mine before trying the neck, which was a mistake on my part. I think I would trade my 2550 for a Charvel with Duncans...

I think you should keep the Charvel - as others have said, the 2550 is not a collector's item and they're continuing to drop in price - I paid over $1,000 CDN for mine new but now I see them going for somehere in the $500 range but I don't see Charvels going that cheap so I bet the Charvel will hold it's value better...keep the Charvel man...

#18 ·
I found a store that is about a 40 minute drive for me that has a few of the Charvel MIJ's in stock. Said I can swing on by and check them out to give 'em a test drive. I'll probably hit it up Mon or Tues. I'll let you all know what I find out for myself. Let me see if these Charvels have this elusive 'Perfect' neck that I am searching for. I have never played a compound neck either so I'm looking forward to seeing what that is all about.

#20 ·
I hear you man. All the reviews I have read hail the necks on these guitars as being absolutely comfortable. I'm eager to check into it. I have a Charvel Journeyman from the late 90s? era with a rosewood board. It's not a back neck. Definitely a bit more to grab than my RG 550. I am hoping that this Charvel will be the one. If it is, I plan on coil tapping at least the neck pickup if not both.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.