Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Choice I have trouble making.

Tags
7vsbl 7vwh
2K views 18 replies 7 participants last post by  RemyL 
#1 ·
Hello everyone! There are 2 different people selling used JEMs close to where I live and I have some problems deciding so I just want to hear what you guys would do in my stead.

**They are pretty close to my house but I haven't seen/tried them in person yet but I could if the schedule fits with theirs.

1st- Used '99 JEM 7VWH, ebony fretboard and Lo-Pro bridge, apparently has a few dings here and there (haven't seen pictures of those) but is in really good condition. The seller asks 2000$CAN.Guitar never had a setup by a luthier. Comes with the a hardshell case. Negociable.

2nd- Used '03 JEM 7VSBL, rosewood fretboard with Edge Pro bridge (probably without locking studs). It has 2 paint chips (I have seen the pictures). It was recently tuned-up by a luthier and seller asks 1700$CAN. No mentions of a case or if its negociable or not.

Think with the mind of someone who doesn't have a single JEM yet.

Thanks jemsiters!

#6 ·
I would keep an eye out for an '02 VSBL myself. It had the Lo-Pro and I think an ebony board too.

If you can haggle down the VWH significantly (like $1500-$1600) It might be a good deal, but there are usually very good to mint condition VWH's on the bay for better prices than $2000

#8 ·
LOL.... problem solved!!!! It doesn't look like he has any VWH's in his used stock now, but it's probably worth giving him a call anyway.......

It looks like the last '02 Lo-Pro/Ebony VWH he sold was in excellent+ condition and went for $1900....seems like a monster deal to me!!!

#11 ·
I totally understand, and there's no harm in going to look.... just don't bring your checkbook with you........ it's to tempting to "buy right now" before your absolutely positive that your making your best decision.........

Don't forget that Rich is THE source for Jem's. If he say's it's in Very good condition, that equates to exceptional for us regular guy's..... He's got an eagle eye and is VERY critical of flaws/imperfections.... the kind of stuff we can't even see!!!!

#12 ·
I am leaning towards the 7vwh to be honest since it has the lo-pro. I'll schedule an evening so I can go try it out and he also wants to try my js1000 so two birds one stone.

I do like the look of the 7vsbl but the edge pro bridge bugs me (I tried many in a store I used to teach at) and the price is ok but I don,t know.

I think I'll stick with the 7vwh as a the sole contender for a hopefully soon JEM purchase.

Thanks guys, you were great help.

#13 ·
I say go play them both since they are local to you, nothing like hands on time to evaluate a guitar. Things like the trem can be changed out pretty easily in the grand scheme of things. To me the neck is the most important aspect of these guitars, as the rest of the differences are cosmetic or very minor structural changes that have little to no effect on the sound and playability of the instrument. You will hear a more drastic change with a pup swap than wood species.
DISCLAIMER: I am not stating that wood has no effect on tone, just that with the construction of this type of guitar, the wood species has less to do with what you hear than the electronics package.

#15 ·
I think that the 7vwh is the way to go. I had never played a guitar with a ebony fretboard until recently, and I want them on all my guitars now. Plus, there really is a difference between alder and basswood. The alder body seems to be a really good match for the high output pick-ups like the EVO's.

#19 ·
UPDATE:

I'm scheduling a meeting with the seller this week at his house for the JEM 7Vwh and if I like it, I should get the cash ready in 2 weeks from now. Hopefully it won't need a fret job as its one thing that I haven't learned to do plus I don't have the tools.

Guitar setup is an art in itself. I'm an accountant who has 2 passions. Music/guitar and playing pool (I compete) but if I had extra money and extra time, I'd want to learn the intricacies of building a guitar from scratch and any types. Electric, acoustic and classical (spanish blood in me so...:p)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.