Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Is This a Good Deal? Floral Jem

3K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  JJLipton 
#1 ·
#2 ·
doesn't look bad.... It definitely a real FP, and at a decent price but I'd try to talk with the seller over the phone if possible......... something about the wording in the ad is "off". I can't put a finger on it, but I'd be cautious.

Can you get more pics from him... with a LOT more detail?? get the S/N good pics of the bridge etc. etc. Like I said, it looks like a perfectly legit FP, but something is off........

#3 ·
There are 3 basic patterns for FP's.

The one with the little red flower near the lower horn
The one with the big yellowish flower at the bottom
The one thats really vine-y

This is a vine-y one. I just think English isn't his native tongue. I don't think Vai would sign a fake...

#5 ·
It isn't a bad deal considering the condition and the prices that Jems have been going for recently. It also isn't an amazing deal. Somewhere in the middle. You might cosidering offering him a bit less for it. The seller is probably proceeding from the mistaken assumption that signatures add value. They actually reduce value generally. You could probably get that off the neck though.

#6 ·
Emailed the guy, who happens to be French and is now living in TX, so that could explain the weird grammar. He says he is a pro musician, all of his gear is still in France, and that he is selling this guitar to fund the purchase of a Marshall JVM410H. I see he has been posting this ad for the past month on CL. He said he would go $1700 without any prompting.

I might have to go take a look at it. I can still return the rg2550e, and if I sell my G&L Legacy, I could afford this Jem. I've never played a Jem, or was into Ibanez RG types until recently, but I have always thought that the foral Jem was sweet. My poor gf is wondering what is wrong with me, wanting to put blue n pink pups on my guitar and checking out a guitar with flowers on it. :)

How different does this Jem play compared to the RG2550?

#9 ·
I might come of as a little crass but take advantage of his misfortune man. 1. He needs to sell this for JVM 2. He doesn't have any use for it and just sits in closet. 3. if what you say is true about him posting this for months, one can logically conclude that he's desperate to sell it. Take the opportunity and bargain with him and I guarantee he'll eventually let it go to you for a fairly good price on your part. Take advantage it is a jem and floral at that too

#14 ·
Mine was last summer through the used section on guitar center's site... $1000. two nicks in the body, and the pink PAF Pro had been replaced by some tom anderson's that sounds incredible.

Not to mention the one i just missed through craigslist in the west somewhere. The seller said the original pink case had gotten soaked and he was worried the water had affected the body and pickups somehow. neck had not gotten wet and was straight, and the body looked pretty clean. magical price... $125. still regretting not checking my email between the time I left for work and came home from work that day...

They're out there if you look hard enough. I still think that if this one is in good condition (not collector) and this guy's been trying to sell it for a while, you can talk him down to $1500. remind him he won't have to hassle with shipping, paypal fees or fleabay fees either. cash in hand = lower prices.

just my $.02. if you feel like paying more for it, you're only helping to drive up the prices further ;)

Tim

#15 ·
I got a really nice '91 back in September for $1400 and there were a couple of similar condition that went for around $1500 at that time. But I'm not making this up when I say that basically overnight, prices went way up.

OP, if you can get that thing for $1600, jump on it and worry about getting rid of your Legacy later!

IMO, you might find a better deal than this, but you also might totally miss out. There were some deals a while back on 777VBK's but those have basically never returned in over two years and 777SK's have all but vanished from the market. 777DY's are very regularly going for over $2000 and for a long time you could get a nice one for $1400.

I know all this because I look at auctions every single day, at least until I find that SK that I want.

#18 ·
All right, got to check it out. Serial # 0110453. Neck plays like butter, makes the RG2550 feel a little stiff, which is crazy. It was really easy to play, nice loose feel to the strings, and was at pitch. One tiny ding on the butt edge. That's it. No scratches, no neck cracks, nothing. Only niggle is that the bridge says licensed under Floyd Rose? I don't know these guitars, so I don't know if that is normal. He has another Jem, a black 7V with body binding. He prefers that one because it has the easy access neck as opposed to the blocky neck joint of the 77FP. He said he would do $1600, and I told him I would get back to him. I can get him down to $1500, possibly $1400. Oh and the case it ratted out. It will eventually need a new case. It's fine on the inside, beat up bad on the outside, with one hinge looking like it's almost gone.

Anyway, what do ya'll think?

#23 ·
All right, got to check it out. Serial # 0110453. Neck plays like butter, makes the RG2550 feel a little stiff, which is crazy. It was really easy to play, nice loose feel to the strings, and was at pitch. One tiny ding on the butt edge. That's it. No scratches, no neck cracks, nothing. Only niggle is that the bridge says licensed under Floyd Rose? I don't know these guitars, so I don't know if that is normal. He has another Jem, a black 7V with body binding. He prefers that one because it has the easy access neck as opposed to the blocky neck joint of the 77FP. He said he would do $1600, and I told him I would get back to him. I can get him down to $1500, possibly $1400. Oh and the case it ratted out. It will eventually need a new case. It's fine on the inside, beat up bad on the outside, with one hinge looking like it's almost gone.

Anyway, what do ya'll think?
The 15th comes with a Edge Pro not Original Edge. Doesn't say licensed.

#31 ·
I got a 1989 Jem77FP yesterday in near perfect condition with case for £960. I love it, an i suggest buying the one you found, its an awesome guitar, and because they are so sought after, if you dont like it, you will have no problem sellin it.
Do you all think i got a deal there or paid too much. I'd like to know what you all think.
Cheers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.