Ibanez JEM Forum banner

grgr270 chip, advice needed

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Algiman 
#1 ·
hi all, i have an ibanez grg270 in purple,

like this http: // tinyurl.com/ 3dqyr6d (no spaces)

anyway it has a chip in it as you can see below, however ive never dealt with paint chip repair, however i know somebody who has, the issue is getting the metallic purple paint to match, any ideas?

any advice on the repair would be appreciated also

sorry i cant embed images, forum wont let me, however heres a link to the chip

http :// tinyurl.com / 3ryfqrm (take away the spaces)

#4 ·
musikron, dont be hatin, dispite what goes on for you, my guitars mean alot to me, and being a student, i need to face the fact money is an issue, and one day i may need to sell one of guitars, and i know cosmetic damage affects re sale value, so id appreciate it if you dont hate on me cool?

linkage, that sounds like a good plan, i accept it wont be perfect, but i was going to get some sort of adhesive filler, then going into halfords and getting a car paint match? cuz its a metallic finish i figure they would have the closest?

just to clarify, budget isnt huge, and musikron, again dont hate, i have my 2 guitars and i play the hell out of them on a bass amp i got cheap, i think that more than demonstrates my willingness to "Quit worrying about stuff like that and play" yeh?

#8 ·
i know cosmetic damage affects re sale value, so id appreciate it if you dont hate on me cool?
On that guitar the loss of value due to that chip is negligible, and wouldn't really be improved by fixing it up. It's not worth refinishing. Seriously, live with it. If more paint is chipping off you could protect the edges of the chip with a light spray of car lacquer, nail varnish first for colour if you have to, but this will just make an improvement to the look rather than restore any value.

If the guitar plays well, play it more! Remember, some people pay a fortune for the "relic" look!

#5 ·
Don't be hatin???? lol 'K bra

As far as selling that guitar, you might get $100 for it as it is pretty much the cheapest RG of that period. If you are hurting for money that bad a part time job would serve you much better than selling your gear. Trust me, I sold plenty of stuff when I was younger like that, and it is a temporary solution to a permanent problem. Lot's of people work their way through college, and if you are an undergrad student there is no excuse of for lack of time as those degrees are not overly demanding, no thesis to write and the like.

If you don't have the money to get it repaired correctly, which on these guitars is a refin, just get the closest nail polish color you can find and you can touch it up. Use several thin coats to build it up above the surrounding finish, let it cure well between coats, then scrape level, and polish out.

#7 ·
I have to agree on nail polish. So many colours to choose from!I'msurprised how soft it is when it dries, at least the two I've used. The stuff I have does not polymerize, and dissolves quickly with acetone. Potentially some thin clear coating with polyurethane afterwards would make it more durable.

Live with the chips and be thankful it's not an acoustic, where the chip could lead to structural dammage!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.