Ibanez JEM Forum banner

What we used to pay for gear in the old days...

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  AlaskaBat 
#1 ·
I was digging through my old collection of Guitarist and guitar Techniques magazines (they have been stuck in back of a cupboard for years) and found a Guitarist August 1992 edition - makes for interesting reading on prices.

For example:

Jem 77 Blue floral £959
PGM 100 Jewel blue £799
RG770DX Candy Apple Red £620

Also listed are some Ibanez necks:

22/24 Fret dot, Maple and rosewood £105
22/24 Fret bound sharktooth £135

As for effects, this reads like a real history lesson and takes me waaaay back:

Boss ME10 £499 (I had one of these)
Zoom 9000 £259
Yamaha FX500 £279 (I had one of these too)

Amps:

Boogie MK III super 60 + reverb £1295
Marshall JCM 4100 100W head £498
Fender Twin £689

Interesting on some items to compare the prices they were when new and what they fetch on the secondhand market now.

I'll see if I can scan some of the images from various ads etc. and get them posted on here - possibly time for some nostalgia and discussions about 'I remember when I was young(er) and...'

See less See more
#2 ·
Interesting find. They sold replacement Ibanez necks new? I thought that Ibanez threw everything away, even the stuff that made it to the custom shop and was scratch and dent.

Crazy about the price on the Mesa Mark III! That's what a RKII would be going for today. Keep in mind inflation too!

#4 ·
I get mixed feelings reading stuff like that because part of me is like, Man, I wish I was as aware of good gear then as I am now but the other part of me realizes that I was 10 in 1992 and 1200 quid might as well be 12000.... Still, cool to see and I'm sure the catalogs are still great to look at.

#13 ·
Found an older Mag from Feb 1988..!

Ibanez prices from a selection of London dealers:

JEM 777 £825
Available in Desert Yellow, Shocking Pink, and Loch Ness Green(?)

RG440 £417
RG530 £399
RG550 £449

Interesting enough, there aren't that many dealers advertising Ibanez in 1988, maybe this just shows how far they have come in terms of market penetration and perception?

Seems to be lots of low-end guitars advertised such as Westone, Aria and others, and then the ubiquitous Fenders and Gibsons.
(Don't tell me - I know 'ubiquitous' is a big word to be using... don't know where I dredged that up from!!!)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.