Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Big bends on a floyd rose

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  therightjem 
#1 ·
Is it harder to hit a big bend on a floating trem? I noticed the trem almost likes to come down to meet you.

Is there a trick to it like adding a palm on the trem to push it back/anchor it?

Any thoughts?

I was just learning parrisienne walkways and its not something I have noticed before, perhapse its just an extreme song example.

Phil

#2 ·
You mean when you bend, the trem moves as you stretch the string? If so, you'll probably want to adjust it, tighten springs and re-level it.

I usually hit the open E then bend the high E up a step or so and if the low E drops pitch, I tighten my springs until it doesn't, or just barely does.

#3 ·
Since you're adding tension on the string side, the trem will come down to meet you - as you say. Any floating bridge will do that.

The trick is to bend until you hit the right note. :)

If you want to do stuff like bend one note up to E and play E on a higher string at the same time, you might have to correct the the note you're not bending by bending it ever so slightly. Use your ears, as the amount of correction needed depends on which other string you bend (and how much, ie how much tension is added and how much the trem comes down = how much detuned the rest of the strings will be (individually)).

#4 ·
It's not uncommon for the trem to come up to meet you on big bends. It depends on how tight the trem is in terms of how much it comes up but as long as it goes back in tune you're good. IMO, the amoung of give in Edge 3 was one of the things I liked about the trem. It was a tad slinkier than its more expensive cousins.

#7 ·
Another issue one can have is bending a note while another open string is ringing. The open string goes lower in pitch while bending the other note. This can be averted by pulling up on the bar to keep the open string at pitch while bending the other note. You will, of course, reach the desired pitch with the bent string quicker, so it requires less of a bend. This takes practice to get right, but once you do, it's cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.