Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Jackson Identity

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Fender868 
#1 ·
Hello guys! I'm buying a fairly nice Jackson from a good friend of mine for $300 and I would like to know what model it is so that I can look further into it. Yes, I do have a picture. Only one though. This thing looks very similar to an SL1 but I know that it's not.

Sparkley black finish
Soloist/neck thru
Professional stamped on the headstock
Serial# J000356 (the last three numbers are wrong but it was something close to that)
HSS pickup configuration w/ EMG 81, SA, SA
3 knobs, one pickup switch (not sure what the knobs do, it's not wired up)
Floating trem
Ebony or Ebonized Rosewood fretboard
MoP Sharktooth inlays
White/cream neck binding

Hard to see, I know. But I assure you, there IS three knobs.

My main questions are
1. Model name?
2. Is it Japanese?
3. What bridge is in it? (Yes, the bridge is the stock one. Has "Jackson" stamped on it)
4. Does it suck?

Thanks dudes!

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks like an early 90's Jackson Soloist PRO. They sold soloist in the professional (japanese imports) mainly in 3 trim levels. STD, XL and PRO. The pro and XL were similar, but the PRO's were far greater. The way to confirm that it is a Pro and not an XL is by the fret boards. XL's and STD's came with rosewood, Pro's were ebony and spec'd exactly like the USA sl1. They were sold for a little under what the going rate was for USA's. However during the time that these were produced (90-95), they began outselling the USA SL1's because most of them played as good if not better, were cheaper and were greatly regarded for their quality. Now a days, a good example of a PRO soloist can be worth an easy 1000-1300. Even if that one looks really dirty right now, I would pay an easy 600-700 for it. Even an XL is worth a lot of money today. They were both great guitars. I only ever had an STD one. It was the same guitar minus the binding, shark inlays, good bridge, the pick ups. The necks on these things are the thinnest jackson ever made. Really nice for a neck-thru.

PS the bridge is a Jackson stamped JT590. If I'm not mistaken, these were made by Schaller and they are amazing floyds.

Here's a reference website for ya

http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/jackson-pro-professional.php

#9 ·
LOL...Of course I'd be here. And Yes, you were right.8)8)

$300 isn't an unfair price for him either. It does look like it's going to need some work.

If you decide you don't want it in the end.....I DO!! I'll trade you any of my guitars............. except the eagle or the 410 :lol::lol:

BTW...the button is for the mid-boost circuit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.