Ibanez JEM Forum banner

Ibanez RG 550 bizzare neck

5K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  metalhead52 
#1 ·
Hallo everybody, i've been reading a lot here but just registered cause i got a question that bugs me abit.
I got an Ibanez RG 550 '97 RFR, and just mesured the neck's width. It is 41, not 43 mm. Basically there is not other problems, but this bugs me cause a frind's RG550 seems to be 43 mm, cause i just feel it wider and unfortunately more comfortable. So anyway can someone tell me if this is due to the year 1987 as i said or is it pretty common or not? Thanks again in advance!

#8 ·
That makes no sense because the necks are cut the same regardless of the fretboard material. There were some guitars produced in 97-98 that featured a 41mm width at the nut. I can think of a number of scenarios that could explain how your guitar ended like that, other than the possibility of a neck swap later down the road.

Did you pull the neck off and inspect the stamps in the neck pocket and neck? It may help shed some light on this.

#9 ·
No i haven't but I'm pretty sure of the guitar's origin and i know the previous few owners. Besides the neck is '87, no stamp only a sticker, and i don't think that there was a neck swap, and besides all that the color of the headstock is absolutely the same, you know faded, pinkish RFR. It's not a very big deal, but it's good to know that i'm not the only one. Thanks for the opinions, i'd be interested to see some more. At first i was disappointed but now i feel kinda special :D

#22 ·
Metal head hit the nail on the well....HEAD:D:D

Your Jackson has an 1-11/16" nut which equates to roughly 44mm. This makes sense as your tape is also showing your RG neck to be 1mm smaller than original. In addition to that, most of my RG nuts actually measure in the 42.87 range....not a full 43.

Your tape measure is inaccurate, that's all. You should be have a little sigh of relief about now.

#23 ·
Well, when i had my other RG (450) '93 Japan, it felt, and it seemed bigger. It was Wizard II, and i was thinking well you know thicker neck wider too. I sold it cause i had two similar guitars, at a time i had 3 with another RG 370 (Indonesian) and i wanted something new, anyway, i know my measurements are inaccurate but i really trust my hand. Soon i will try to find proper tools, or just go neck to neck with my friend's 550. To be honest i'm not bugged anymore, still love the guitar, plays great and comfy, best floyd ever, hate thee neckjoint tho. I still think that 550 with AANJ is the ultimate guitar.

#28 ·
The Wizard II necks, as you noted, are thicker, and a bit rounder compared to the Wizard neck, so this may be why it felt wider in your hand, since there's more neck there, even though it's not actually wider.

On a Stratocaster, for example, even though the nut isn't as wide as on a Ibbie, it's a much thicker, rounder neck (depending on the model) and with my small hands I have trouble hooking my thumb over the neck on a Strat for those Bluesy bass lines, while on the RG, even though it's actually wider, I have no trouble at all.

So; your perception of the neck feeling 'bigger' is dead on. :)

#24 · (Edited)
#26 ·
Well my friend's RG is maple too, but this raises another question for me. Are all maple wizard necks one piece, cause i'm pretty sure that i have a glued fretboard. Sorry for these noob questions but i've always tried to be more into playing and less into gear.

#30 ·
Dude....your definitely not a Jackass.......believe me, I know plenty of them!!!!!

It's also possible that your friend has a 97-01 RG550 with a super wizard neck. The super wizard is thinner (fretboard to the back of the neck) along the whole neck. That may also be a reason that his "feels" wider.

I don't think I mentioned it before....but DAMN that's a nice RFR!!!!

#31 ·
Well thanks I guess :). I believe my friends RG is 93-4 or something, i don't know, in better condition than mine, the finish have a few dings, not like mine which is pretty beaten up, but i like it that way, he offers me his guitar, now he plays gibsons mainly but i'm short on cash. I'd love to have his white beauty, to be honest i prefer the white ones better than RFR or DY or any other color. Well the purple neon is my favourite. I had it on my rg450, and now i regret selling it :D. Anyway a purple neon RG550 with AANJ would be gladly appreciated, if anyone wants to donate!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.